Should I have my baby checked for SM?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Should I have my baby checked for SM?

Postby pplrstrg82 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:16 am

I was diagnosed at 22, without CM. I know there is a genetic component. I am due in March. How does everyone feel about infant testing?
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Syrnix C2-T7
pplrstrg82

Re: Should I have my baby checked for SM?

Postby 3kidssane » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:07 pm

Not sure how I feel about it. I have been pondering having our 3 year old tested.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Postby tnajk » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 pm

Obviously it's a personal decision, but we decided not to check our other 3 children. We don't want to go looking for something wrong. We think if they are asymptomatic then there's no reason to know whether they have it or not. If at any time they begin to show symptoms, then we'll look further. Fact of the matter is, thousands of people in the world are walking around with Chiari and don't even know it. They are symptom free, or have very mild symptoms and aren't bothered in the slightest. If any of our other children indeed have Chiari, I hope they are like those people that live a full life without having to worry about if and when their symptoms will present themselves.

Good luck with your decision!
Mom with 12 yr old son dx ACM1 & Pseudotumor Cerebri
tnajk

Postby Janice » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:17 pm

If your child becomes symptomatic, you should press for an MRI. Until then, no need to worry. Most docs won't subject a child to an MRI unless they are symptomatic.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby pplrstrg82 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:22 am

I was thinking the same thing: why go looking for something wrong? Thanks for the reassurance.
Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts.

Syrnix C2-T7
pplrstrg82

Postby angie7 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:02 pm

I have nearly 4 y/o twins. I was dx over 5 years ago with many things (see sig) and have not had them tested. I watch for signs but I'm not going to subject them to testing for no reason especially such a young child. They would have to sedate them for an MRI and I don't feel that is safe for small children. I would just enjoy your baby and put those thoughts to the side. I let my kids be kids. I don't stress over whether or not they have anything that I have, I figure we have all the time in the world to worry about if they do but for now, let them be free.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Return to Pediatrics