New Blog and a Question

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

New Blog and a Question

Postby 3kidssane » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:17 am

I wanted to let everyone know that I have started a blog about our medical journey. you can veiw it at: www.haileyagainstallodds.blogspot.com

Also,
I have seen several posts latley in regaurds to bladder issues. I have been debating on weather or not to have my three year old teasted for CM and SM. He seems to show several of the symptoms. I was wondering what the bladder issues are in regaurds to these condisions. ds has to go to the bathroom often. WAY more than normal. I talked with his Dr. about and he said I was givivng him to much liquid. the thing is that even when he has not had anything to drink he will pee, and pee, and then again in like 5 min he will pee.
Mother of: DD,8 with Cm 1 protruding tonsils 10mm and SM with Syrinx from t5-t7, 4 mm in depth and 5 mm in width, DC'd 2x 6/2010, DS, 4 with enviromental allergies, food allergies and autism,DS 2, DS 5 months.
3kidssane

Re: New Blog and a Question

Postby lttutrow » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:27 am

That is exactly the problem with bladder issues at my house, pee and need to go again immediately. We were on a vacation once when it really hit home for me how often they were needing to go, I kid you not, we pulled off the interstate to let them go and didn't even get out of the parking lot at the fast food place we'd pulled over to go before they had to go again. This was before we knew about their CM's, and so we went the whole ruling out a UTI route. There was no infection, and as long as there weren't accidents, our Dr. wasn't really concerned about it. Once we found their CM's and mentioned this issue, we were told that sometimes the blockages can cause a problem with the message the brain is sending to the bladder, even if they don't have SM. My son's Urodynamics study post decompression showed a small bladder capacity, but our nsg. told us that it likely was even smaller before surgery and will hopefully grow more over time. I do notice that with growth spurts, the frequency issue is worse. Neither of my kids have a tethered cord.

Generally, I think anytime one child or parent has been diagnosed, and another child starts showing symptoms, they recommend doing an MRI to rule it out.

Thank you for sharing your blog!!!
lttutrow

Return to Pediatrics