post surgery headaches

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

post surgery headaches

Postby Catherine » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:08 pm

Hi, my 4 year old DD had decompression surgery last Tuesday. She came home on Friday and has been doing well with just Tylenol and Motrin but last night she started having more severe headaches. She is getting pain in her left temple area that won't go away with Tylenol and Motrin and she won't take the Tylenol with Codeine. Is it normal to have the headaches start up like this after she was doing fine? Also, while in the hospital they discovered that she has a genetic heart condition that I have. I'm not sure if the headaches are from the surgery or from the heart condition (long qt syndrome). Anyone know about the post op headaches?

Thanks,
Crystal
Also, she is acting out her dreams now, she used to do it sometimes but now she acts out at least 4 dreams at night (sits up, eyes open, talks and points). It's something my son and I do occasionally but she is doing it all the time since the surgery and she is grinding her teath and keeps playing with her fingers like she is trying to snap.
Catherine

Re: post surgery headaches

Postby lttutrow » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:51 pm

If she was better and is now having worse headaches, I'd call back to the nsg. My son got chemical meningitis after surgery, it's a common post surgical issue, and many end up needing steroids to get past that point in the healing process. I'm not sure how it all works, but I do know what you mean about the sleeping issues. Keegan has only actually gotten up a handful of times to sleep walk, but he sits up, talks, points, gestures, off and on all night long.
lttutrow

Postby lcolangelo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:49 am

I would defineitly call the nsg-- any severe headaches that don't improve with tylenol-- warrent a call -- even after hours-- did they open the dura??? sometimes there can be a csf leak or meningitis-- or it could just be normal pain-- but better to err on the safe side. Hope he's feeling better-- let us know how he's doing!
lcolangelo

Postby Catherine » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:00 pm

Well she is still having headaches. Her headache this morning finally went away. She is taking Motrin and she finally took the Tylenol with Codeine. I called the nsg yesterday and he said the location of where her headache was yesterday would not be related to the surgery, front left temple. This morning however it was in the back by her stitches and in the front. The pain has gone away now and she doesn't have a fever so I guess we'll wait and see what today brings. She is seeing her ped. tomorrow and the nsg on Thursday. I think she is just having normal headaches but they seem to be harder to get rid of for some reason.

Crystal
Catherine

Return to Pediatrics