SSEP...Evoked Potential

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

SSEP...Evoked Potential

Postby JenniferBetzOT » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:34 pm

Our daughter has a 4-6 mm cervical (C5-C7) syrinx with no chiari or cord tethering. She also has a 2 mm syrinx from T4 to her conus. Has anyone ever done a SSEP on their child. Several of the hospitals around here do not do them with sedation hence limiting the reliability of the results. I am wondering if I should keep searching for a hospital that does complete this test and if the results were helpful in determining the treatment plan for her.

Thanks.
Jennifer
JenniferBetzOT

Re: SSEP...Evoked Potential

Postby jupes » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi Jennifer and welcome!

My DD has never had a SSEP but I have and know this test would probably be uncomfortable for a small child to have done. Hopefully another parent on here has been through this with their child and can offer more insight.

My DD"s syrinx is similar location but smaller- 3mm (C5-C7) and a smaller syrinx from T3-t12. She also has no tethered cord or chiari. She does have a crowded posterior fossa (chiari 0) which is thought to be the cause of the syrinx. Chiari 0 is a new and somewhat controversial diagnosis that only a handful of experts recognize. What are your DD's symptoms and is she seeing a neurosurgeon who specializes in chiari? It is very important to find the cause of the syrinx since very few are ideopathic. Most Doctors will also do a CINE MRI to make sure CSF flow is adequate too.

As for plan of treatment, we are just monitoring the syrinx and csf flow with periodic MRI/CINE MRI every 6 to 12 months and if symptoms worsen or the syrinx grows she would be treated with decompression. Although she has symptoms her neurological exams are always normal. Is your child having numbness/weakness that is the reason for ordering the ssep?

Keep us updated and hope all goes well with your daughters test!

Julie
14 yr old DD with CM 0/SM and mild scoliosis.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
jupes

Re: SSEP...Evoked Potential

Postby Sara » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:01 pm

My daughter had SSEP's when she was 5 yo. They gave her a light sedative to relax her, not true sedation. It was not too bad. mild tingling. An EMG is a muscle conduction test which is very painful. my daughter had both, the EMG she screamed and had to be held down, the SSEP she was fine.
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Return to Pediatrics