1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression/duraplasty

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression/duraplasty

Postby momintexas » Fri May 21, 2010 10:18 am

I posted this on the "Success Stories" discussion group, but wanted to share it here as well. I also want to thank those of you on this forum that gave me the encouragement and tips and information that I needed to support my daughter through this. Networking and talking to other parents who have been there done that is invaluable!

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to share that my 11 year old daughter had her decompression surgery done one year ago, on May 13th and is a complete success story! She is doing amazingly well and has no problems. All of her post-op appointments and MRI were great. She has returned to all activities, and actually has added more activities than pre-surgery because her headaches prohibited her from participating in all of the sports she wanted to. She is very active at school, no limitations, does dance/drill team, plays volleyball, and has just started running track.

She had a 21+mm herniation and had decompression and duraplasty performed by Dr. Dale Swift, Pediatric Neurosurgeon at Children's Medical Center in Dallas, Texas. Pre-surgery symptoms included daily headaches to the point of vomiting, numbness/tingling in extremities, vertigo, ringing in ears, some balance issue, drastic eye sight changes, severely blocked CSF flow resulting in her not bending over/changing positions often. Today, she has NONE of those symptoms!!!

I know there are many scary stories out there and not all of them have happy endings, but I want to give those of you embarking on this journey HOPE! Wishing you all the best!

One of the lucky ones,
Mom to Madison (11 yo)
Decompression/Duraplasty 5/13/2009
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/madsi
Mom to 9 yr old Madison - 19mm CMI diagonosed 2/2009
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/madsi
momintexas

Re: 1 year anniversary of my daughter's decompression/duraplasty

Postby Lipper5 » Fri May 21, 2010 2:58 pm

GREAT NEWS!
Lipper5

Postby sydney'smom » Mon May 24, 2010 3:46 pm

Thank you so much for posting! My 10 year old daughter was dx last November with 19mm and in March they discovered a small syrnix. We are very blessed that she only had the occassional headache, so for now her symptoms do not warrant surgery. My biggest fear is making the wrong decision when they day comes that she might need surgery. I read the message board often and more times than not people are talking about all the problems they are having post-op, so it was GREAT to read that your daughter has had such great success. I wish her nothing but the best and hope that she is able to continue doing the things she loves.
9 yr old daughter with 19mm CM and 1mm Syrinx.
See Dr. Di at Cleveland Clinic and am scheduling a 2nd opinion with Dr. Frim in Chicago.
sydney'smom

Postby lttutrow » Tue May 25, 2010 8:59 am

I'm realllllly glad Madsi is doing so well, that's great news!!!
lttutrow

Postby KEFALONITIS » Tue May 25, 2010 4:07 pm

May God's speed always follow Madison.
KEFALONITIS

Return to Pediatrics