Translation of a Radiology Report

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Translation of a Radiology Report

Postby KyliesSis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Hi guys!

This is Kylie's sister writing again. I'm not sure if any of you remember me, but my then 5 year old sister Kylie was diagnosed with Syringomyelia as well as tethered cord. In 2008, she had an untethering of the cord surgery, and everything seemed to be going well. (Dr. Frim performed the surgery). However, when she went for a check up at the local hospital, we got some different news. I need some help translating this report, because I'm not sure what it's saying.

- There is a subtle defect in the left lamina L3 vertebra consistent with interval surgery.
- There is worsening of noncontiguos syringohydromyelia involving the thoracic spinal cord with the greatest involvement in the lower portion cord between T6-T7 disc and T11-T12 disc with maximal degree 4mm AP x 5mm transverse level of T9-T10.
- There also appears to be some slight prominence of the central canal of the cervical spinal cord.

Thanks for your help guys!
Proud Sister of 6 year old Kylie
SM C3-C4 and T10-T11
Tethered Cord Syndrome
Spina Bifida
Scoliosis
Kyphosis
KyliesSis

Re: Translation of a Radiology Report

Postby sydney'smom » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:23 am

I do not have an answer for you, but with a question like that I would also post on the "All About CM, SM and Related" board. Someone on that board may have some insight for you.
9 yr old daughter with 19mm CM and 1mm Syrinx.
See Dr. Di at Cleveland Clinic and am scheduling a 2nd opinion with Dr. Frim in Chicago.
sydney'smom

Re: Translation of a Radiology Report

Postby julieplus3 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:39 pm

I am in no way a doctor, and I would suggest just contacting Dr. Frim and asking him. This is my guess:
1. There is a small defect in part of the vertebrea that is consistent with having surgery, so it is nothing to worry about, just noting that it is there.
2. The syrinx is worse. It doesn't mention how big it was before so its hard to tell how much, you'd have to compare it to a previous report.
3. The central canal of the spinal cord is a little wider than normal in the location mentioned. Not sure that this is anything to worry about.

Hope this helps a little? Again, I would just contact Dr. Frim and ask him.

Julie E.
julieplus3

Return to Pediatrics