After Surgery

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

After Surgery

Postby lhaight » Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:12 pm

My son 7 year old son had decompression surgery this past Monday. He did very well and was released on Wed. He has needed very little pain meds. However, last night he said his neck popped. And again this evening when he was eating he said his neck popped and that it made it hurt. Also, late this afternoon his shoulders started hanging at a weird diagonal angle - one high and one low. I thought this might be him just adjusting to the sore muscles. Has anyone else's child experienced this? He didn't need muscle relaxers while in the hospital, so we didn't come home with anything but hydrocodine. He has only had that twice since we have been home. Other than that he has had motrin maybe once daily because he felt a headache coming on.

My husband had decompression surgery 2 1/2 years ago. His shoulders never looked as off as my sons. So I am a little concerned. Of course it is Friday evening, things never happen on a Monday morning do they?? :)

Also, with school starting soon I would love any advice on what to prepare for prior to the start of school. The neurosurgeon has faxed a "restrictions" list to his school and I am meeting with the principal, teacher and school nurse before the first day of school. I am just not sure other than the normal don't lift, no physical education class, no backpack, etc. that I need to address with his teacher. Any ideas or words of wisdom would be so appreciated! Thanks!
lhaight

Re: After Surgery

Postby EHF » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:31 pm

It looks like you wrote this a couple of nights ago - I hope your son is doing okay. If his shoulders were persistently like that, I'd definitely call the NS, especially if he isn't able to hold them up equally. I have no personal experience with that but it does sound concerning.

In terms of restrictions...I think all NS's have different restrictions. Our doctor seemed to be a little more cautious than some others. My son was out of school for 5-6 weeks and, when he went back, he still had restrictions. He wasn't able to participate in recess (although he did go outside...just no running, etc.) or PE for almost 3 months. After that, the restrictions were lifted and he resumed activity. Honesty, since he was 5 going on 6 at the time, it was difficult to keep him from playing with his brothers all of the time. But, for the most part, it was a very quiet 3 months for him. And for at least the last month, he was wanting to do alot more which proved just how much better he felt.

Hope this helps!
EHF

Re: After Surgery

Postby lhaight » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks so much for the insight. We did Motrin for a day or two and his shoulders are looking better. Somewhat angled, but nothing like the other day.
Our surgeon is letting him start school on the 25th. His surgery was the 9th. He is doing really well, but we are meeting with the school about restrictions.
Sounds like his restrictions will be aobut 6 weeks only. My son's range of motion in his neck is just amazing! My husband was in his recliner for at least a month!
Fingers crossed that he keeps progressing with no major setbacks!!
lhaight

Return to Pediatrics