NEED ADVICE PLEASE! Sudden Visual Disturbances

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

NEED ADVICE PLEASE! Sudden Visual Disturbances

Postby itsme102376 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi,
My son Matthew (6 years) had decompression surgery with Dr. Frim in Chicago April 2010. All went well and his syringomyelia/hydromyelia has improved alot since surgery. He does have scoliosis which has gone from a 30 degree to 23 degree curve since surgery. All had been going well until about one week ago. Matthew came up to me and told me he cannot see out of his left eye. We already knew he was nearsighted with an astigmatism (he wears corrective lenses). However, up till this point he had been able to see out of both eyes. With his right eye he can read letters, pick out colors, shapes etc and recognize light. However with his left eye he is unable to read any letters, pick out colors or even tell if light is shining on that eye. We have an appointment with the neuro-opthamologist at the University of Chicago on Wednesday.

I am curious if anyone has ever had this happen to them or their children who have ACM? What might be going on? What questions should I be prepared to ask the neuro-opthamologist? Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Crystal
itsme102376

Re: NEED ADVICE PLEASE! Sudden Visual Disturbances

Postby medicpt » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:12 pm

Just a thought, have you spoken with the opthamologist's office? Is it a possible retinal detachment which would require immediate intervention?

I pray the best for your son's vision to be restored.

Wendi2
medicpt

Postby itsme102376 » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Yes, he has an appointment Wednesday. We also discovered two new things. He can see the colors if the object is held extremely close to his eye. If it is more than about 6 inches away he cannot see the color. He also states that if the object is too far away it is blurry and looks as if chunks are missing. Anybody out there have any experience with something similar to this?
itsme102376

Postby Catherine » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:40 pm

Hi,

My daughter, Catherine, just started having visual problems today. She had her decompression Feb. 2010. She has been had a headache for about 2 weeks now. On Tuesday she started getting very clutsy and running into things. She also has had a couple dizzy spills over the last 2 weeks. We were all sick and I had vertigo real bad for about 2 weeks so we figured that was it. This afternoon she told me that she has to turn her head so see things because her eyes will not move. Then tonight she said that things are blurry in certain areas. I have not tried to test her vision. I also left a message with her NS about the headache and dizzyness on Wednesday and have not heard back. Not sure what to do now that it is the weekend. Do I try to get a hold of her NeuroOpthomologist or NS? Or should I wait until Monday and just make sure it doesn't get worse?

I know I'm not much help. I hope you'Ve got some help for your son.

Crystal
Catherine

Postby medicpt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:41 pm

Hi Catherine, I know this is no help for the weekend as it is not Monday, but I would be calling my NS to be sure the message was received. I would expect to at least to have received a phone call in 2 days!! I don't know you, but I feel for your situation and concern. As a parent, I would be so angry. I hope that her vision is resolved and that her eye movement has as well.

Best to you and your dtr. wendi2
medicpt

Postby medicpt » Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:46 pm

hi itsme,

Sorry no experience with the chunks of vision unless it is a retinal problem, but if he sees close up I doubt it's that. I don't know that it would be .... did they find the problem? Has his vision improved?

wendi2
medicpt

Return to Pediatrics