Neuroradiologist report - Does this make sense???

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Neuroradiologist report - Does this make sense???

Postby JenandLuli » Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:22 pm

We received the report from the Neuroradiologist. I have not received any further info from the Neurologist other than there are 2 syrinx - the report gives me more info. She said surgery is not needed but referred my daughter to a Neurosurgeon.
The 1st Syrinx is from C-6 to T-1 3mm diam. w/in cord
2nd syrinx is from T-7 to Filum Terminale 7mm in diameter :shock:
(doesn't this sound large??? :? )

No dye was used so they cannot tell if there are any tumors but no mass obstruction was observed.
It said if further Neurological symptoms were observed then they would do another MRI w/ contrast.
SO - no cause is found yet - except for the thought that this is a part of the cord that should have closed but didn't. To me that sounds like Spina Bifida. But no one has said anything like that to me.

A bit of backstory - Daughter is 21 mo. old - born w/ facial paralysis, lower back birthmark, persistant left torticollis. X-Ray @1 wk old showed no spina bifida, CT @18mo. showed Rotatory in her neck, MRI @ 20 mo. showed 2 syrinx. She used to walk funny but now walks normal most of the time. Her body is still tight at times - this especially shows up when trying to hold or carry her. Especially in her torso on the left side.
If ANYONE has any insight I would so appreciate it! I want to ask the dr questions but don't know where to begin.
THANKS!!!
Jen and Luli :D
JenandLuli

welcome

Postby Sara » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:24 pm

you need to see a good ped neurosurgeon. They need to determine the cause and it could well be related to tethered cord, even if it isn't full blown spina bifida. What state do you live in? we'll give you some names of good ped nsgs.
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Dr. Cahan???

Postby JenandLuli » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:45 pm

I'm in Cali - LA area.
We are seeing Dr. Cahan next week - He's a ped neurosurgeon.
Anyone know if he's good???
JenandLuli

Return to Pediatrics