returning back pain

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

returning back pain

Postby kbaesel » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:47 pm

My daughter (now 8 years old) was diagnosed in September of 2008 with SM. We have had so many MRI sense then, It is not shrinking, not necessarily growing, but staying consistent. Her "cyst" (I can't remember the s name for the fluid cavity) still goes from T3 to L2 and is 3.5 mm wide. The way I take that is the length is growing with her but it is not getting any wider.
Is that common?

Next, we have started to experience back pains again, some of which wake or up at night. Some of which cause mood changes or behavior changes. The later in the day the worse it seems to be. We have NEVER had behavior problems before and I am worried that there is a connection, worried that it is growing. I am a little worried that there could be an additional growth such as a tumor, I am not to worried about that just question it. I am calling the Neuro this coming week to see about an appointment. I am just scared that it is changing. Especially with the back pain she has been getting.
Has anyone else experienced this?
kbaesel

Re: returning back pain

Postby arnajett » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:20 pm

My 15 yr old is 5mo post op. Did not have duraplasty but decompression and removal of c1 partial c2 laminectomy. Possibly will have to have dura done .post op MRI shows unchanged syrinx. He has started to have severe back pain. Nothing seems to help. Wish I could switch places so he can go back to his sports and activities without pain.
Absolutely pray our kids get better!
arnajett

Return to Pediatrics