Dallas Area

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Dallas Area

Postby willsmom » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:27 pm

Anyone on here in the Dallas area? We are scheduled to see a pediatric neurosurgeon at Children's Hospital in 10 days for son with CM and SM. Would love to hear about experiences (good and/or bad) with this hospital. I think they will be great but would love to hear first hand.
willsmom

Postby theway-1 » Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 pm

My 7 year old had brain decompression in Nov of 05 at Children's --we were very happy with the hospital and the staff-- if you have any questions-just let me know. Sully's doctor is Dr. Sklar!

Lisa
theway-1

Postby willsmom » Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:20 am

We will be seeing Dr. Sklar as well! How is your son doing now? Did he just have CM or CM and SM?
willsmom

Postby theway-1 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 3:35 pm

Sully has both cm and sm- he is doing ok- we have our days of pain-
Summer was wonderful-going back to school and the stress-made his headaches worse- he has slight headaches everyday- he has just learned to live with them-
Sully plays baseball, and he does PE at school- the school is aware of his condition - and if at anytime he needs to stop or go to the nurse to lye down- he can!

Sklar is good- I will tell- he does not have a great bedside manner- he is very matter of fact-not chit-chatty-let me get to know you kind of doctor--
although after surgery he was much better! My son was 4 when he was diagnosed- and I think he intially thought I was making it up!
you can pm me if you have any questions! we are due back for our 2 year follow-up!

let me know how it goes
Lisa
theway-1

Postby Mayzoo » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:54 pm

I live very near Dallas and experienced great things at Children's Hospital---but I am cynical/skeptical about Dr. Sklar, and Dr. Weprin (we saw both about 2 yrs apart from each other).

I don't feel it appropriate to discuss on here since what we went through may very well have been two isolated incidents in that office---but you asked. We have seen other NSG, and NL in the Dallas area as well.

E-mail me at demay3205@sbcglobal.net if you want the story behind our story or just search this forum under my user name---I bet I have told the story as it happened at one time or another.

We drive from Texas to Chicago now to see Dr. Frim. and have been generally happy with his attention/interactions with our daughter as a person, to use us as a reliable source rather than an annoyance, his staff and the raving loving parents at the Ronald McDonald house there.

I would say PM me here but I just don't see when I have a new PM well on this site.

Mayzoo
Mayzoo

Postby willsmom » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:23 am

Hi Mayzoo, We were less than thrilled with Children's in Dallas and Dr. S. We are now going to Cook's Children's in FW to see Dr. Honeycutt. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about him. He is a big Christian and openly shares his faith which is a HUGE deal to us.

We see him on 10/30.

P.S. I don't see when I have a PM on here very well either!
Yvette
This too shall pass.
willsmom

Return to Pediatrics