hearing disturbances

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

hearing disturbances

Postby joeysmom » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:16 pm

Hello all, I had a question about hearing issues. I am not sure if this is considered tinnitus or not. My son told me the other day that he is hearing a jackhammer type noise whenever he runs hard or picks up something heavy (yes, I tell him not to do these things). I am assuming he is doing the valsalva thing and that is when he hears this. He is 9 and has CM and SM and was decompressed 12/06. Of course, he tells me this the day after his NL appt. We have our follow-up MRI and NS appt next month. So, my question is, is telling him to avoid anything that causes this enough? I don't think this is necessarily a new symptom because when he told me he was surprised that I didn't have this happen to me. So, my thinking is, he just thought it was normal. I don't want to call the doctor for every little thing, but I don't want to overlook something if it is something. Does that make sense? Any advice would be much appreciated.
joeysmom

hearing things

Postby Sara » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:37 pm

Hi,
My 13 year old daughter has been hearing sounds whooshing, ringing, whinning, roaring- you name it- for many years. Recently it has become constant and she can't sleep well. I called all her doctors and were told there is nothing can be done about it. Reading on the web seems to confirm that tinnitus is a very big annoyance, and not very treatable.
Sara
Holly's mom
Sara
Site Admin

Postby joeysmom » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:59 pm

Sara,
Thank you for your reply. I guess this is not a big problem for him right now and for that I am so thankful. I am sorry to hear that Holy has such problems with this. Gosh, this is so hard!
Tonya
joeysmom

Return to Pediatrics