Son needing to "pop" neck

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Son needing to "pop" neck

Postby willsmom » Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:32 am

Quick question.

My son keeps saying he feels like he needs to "pop" his neck. He says it isn't pain nor does he have headaches.

Has anyone else ever described this type of feeling?

Thanks all and have a blessed day.
Yvette
This too shall pass.
willsmom

Postby lisa tyner » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:29 am

Hi Yvette,
My daughter age 9 has strange symptoms as well. never complained about her neck but always is complaing that her big toe needs to be sqeezed.I think when yor dealing with chiari you never know from day to day whats going to pop up.If I did not no dana had cm I'd think she was crazy at times. :) Lisa
lisa tyner

Postby Debster » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:37 pm

Yup, my older son was constantly over rotating his neck. It made me crazy to see it every single second of the day. (This was before my dx of ACM) I took him to therapy and he learned treatment to stop the habit of neck cracking and knuckle cracking. Now my 8 year old is doing it too.

Since my dx in March, I am not having mri's for both boys Dec 20th to screen them for acm. My older son has complained of constant neck pain since he was 7. We attributed it to the way he lays on his stomach and plays on the floor. So we'll see I guess after the mri's if they have acm. I pray they don't.
ACM Herniation 5 mm, Hypothyroid, Congenital Sphereocytosis, confirmed Raynaud's.
Some say the glass is half empty, others say the glass is half full, I say, "are you gonna drink that?"
Debster

Postby pattip448 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:22 pm

My som Matt now age 16 cracked his neck for years prior to CM diagnosis. Hetold the physiotherapist yrs ago that doing it made his head feel better. I now wonder if it helped move CSF flow???
Patti , (EDS), Mom of 16 yr old with TC and EDS 6.6mm cerebellar herniation, 15 yr old with EDS Hypermobile
pattip448

Postby willsmom » Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:02 am

Good observation on the improving CSF flow. My son was just decompressed 10 days ago and I have forgotten to ask if he still wants to pop his neck. Will do so when he gets up this a.m.
Yvette
This too shall pass.
willsmom

Return to Pediatrics