New to all of this

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby hesterspearl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:40 pm

Willsmom,

Hannah is still under the care of an Orthopedist because all of this started with a routine scoliosis screen by her Pediatrician during an annual physical. The Pediatrician refered us to an Orthopedist for follow up for the scoliosis. The Orthopedist didn't like the x-ray (the curve appeared too sharp to be idiopathic) so we got the MRI. I go back to the Orthopedist on the 26th. I'm assuming that we'll get a sent to a neurologist next.

I live in Maryland and am fortunate to have two choices for neurosurgerons: either we can stay with Children's National Medical Center or go to Johns Hopkins. I've heard that Dr. Ben Carson at Hopkins is the local expert in SM.

THANKS!
hesterspearl

Postby joeysmom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 pm

I would like to post on the hashimoto's thyroid issue. I have this and was dx at 14 after gaining 30 pounds with no change in diet or exercise (I am now approaching 40). My grandfather had it with a huge goiter. I also had a goiter. Mine has shrunk as has my thyroid gland to almost nil. Just my research, but, it is hereditary but not just this condition. I see a very good endocrinologist and he says one inherits the chance for an auto immune disease but not necessarily that one auto immune disease. My family has 3 people with hashimoto's but we also have mild MS and one case of lupus and one case of RA in the distant family. I hope this helps a bit. I have a brother and a sister with no auto immune issues and so far not one of my 5 kidos seem to have this issue (course they are still young). This is just an issue I seem to know something about since I have had it so long, so had to chime in. Blessings all!
joeysmom

Postby brianfsmom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:35 am

Hi joeysmom,

Thanks for the post. I did know that the autoimmune disorders sort of come hand-in-hand. I hate having that uncertainty hang over my kids, but what can we do but live with it, right?

My husband inherited the exact Hashimoto's from his mother; he was diagnosed as an adult. I keep an eye on my kids, after Brian's surgery when he gained a lot of weight, we worried and almost had him tested, but then he became active again and slimmed back down.
brianfsmom

Previous

Return to Pediatrics