New to all of this

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Postby hesterspearl » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:40 pm

Hannah is still under the care of an Orthopedist because all of this started with a routine scoliosis screen by her Pediatrician during an annual physical. The Pediatrician refered us to an Orthopedist for follow up for the scoliosis. The Orthopedist didn't like the x-ray (the curve appeared too sharp to be idiopathic) so we got the MRI. I go back to the Orthopedist on the 26th. I'm assuming that we'll get a sent to a neurologist next.

I live in Maryland and am fortunate to have two choices for neurosurgerons: either we can stay with Children's National Medical Center or go to Johns Hopkins. I've heard that Dr. Ben Carson at Hopkins is the local expert in SM.

Postby joeysmom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:09 pm

I would like to post on the hashimoto's thyroid issue. I have this and was dx at 14 after gaining 30 pounds with no change in diet or exercise (I am now approaching 40). My grandfather had it with a huge goiter. I also had a goiter. Mine has shrunk as has my thyroid gland to almost nil. Just my research, but, it is hereditary but not just this condition. I see a very good endocrinologist and he says one inherits the chance for an auto immune disease but not necessarily that one auto immune disease. My family has 3 people with hashimoto's but we also have mild MS and one case of lupus and one case of RA in the distant family. I hope this helps a bit. I have a brother and a sister with no auto immune issues and so far not one of my 5 kidos seem to have this issue (course they are still young). This is just an issue I seem to know something about since I have had it so long, so had to chime in. Blessings all!

Postby brianfsmom » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:35 am

Hi joeysmom,

Thanks for the post. I did know that the autoimmune disorders sort of come hand-in-hand. I hate having that uncertainty hang over my kids, but what can we do but live with it, right?

My husband inherited the exact Hashimoto's from his mother; he was diagnosed as an adult. I keep an eye on my kids, after Brian's surgery when he gained a lot of weight, we worried and almost had him tested, but then he became active again and slimmed back down.

Return to Pediatrics