Surgery Advice Wanted

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Surgery Advice Wanted

Postby momof5 » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:44 am

My daughter's decompression surgery is schedules for 12/17 at Childrens Hospital Orange Copunty Ca. can anyone give me advice as to what to expect as far as her recovery? Is there any good advice anyone has to help her feel more comfortable when she comes home?
momof5

Postby brianfsmom » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:17 am

Hi

How old is your daughter? You will be surprised how quickly children bounce back from this surgery. The first 24-48 hours are a little tough, but probably won't even be as bad as you expected. It's just the coming-out-of surgery grogginess and that's when the neck stiffness sets in.

As for comfort, you shouldn't have to do too much. Make sure she has some comfortable pillows and an area where she can roam around. Stairs are not necessarily 'dangerous' but my son couldn't look down at first, so he couldn't see where to step :)

I bought him a beanbag chair and propped pillows behind his head, it was like his throne when he first came home. We bought lots of movies, but he seemed to think he was being sentenced to torture if we asked him to stay still and watch them after the first day or so at home.

Otherwise, your daughter will set the pace for her own recovery. Try to make sure she doesn't do too much too soon.

Good luck!!! And take care of yourself, too. This may be harder on you than it is on her.
brianfsmom

surgery advice wanted

Postby D'Nana » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:44 pm

I remember the evening after my daughter's surgery. Her surgeon asked me to have her look to the L & R twice. She really didn't want to, but I bribed her; if she would do it, I'd let her call her boyfriend long distance on the phone in her room. That did the trick! I also remember her coming to in the recovery room and crying because they didn't have anything under her head but the cold, hard bed. She seemed better when they got her a pillow.
D'Nana

Postby joeysmom » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:20 pm

At the hospital, my son was given a small gel pillow. It was wrapped in a baby t-shirt. It really helped him. The gel was cool to the touch when he first layed on it and I think that really helped. I would recommend the "moshi" type pillows, too. They really squish down to become comfy. I also sewed one of his pillows in the middle to create a deep recess area for the surgery site. That helped in the recliner. We bought him sit still kind of toys like hand held video games and some comic books. My son was 8 at the time of surgery. I guess games would depend on her age. Blessings to you and your daughter.
joeysmom

surgery

Postby medgirl47 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:22 pm

my son is 15 and just had the decompression surgery on the 27. is doing well and like the others said they have to set their own pace. at this and any age they just dont understand why they cant do what they did before the surgery. enjoy the time together, how long before she is allowed to go back to school
medgirl47

Return to Pediatrics