5 year old daughter with cm/sm and chronic sore throat

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

5 year old daughter with cm/sm and chronic sore throat

Postby michaudmas » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:02 am

Hi I am a mother of a 5 year old who had Decompression surgery in September and who has a syrix. She has a sore throat every day. Does this sound like anything familiar to anyone. She had a fundoplication at 1.5 years old because her Gerd was so bad so she cannot physically throw up so I do not believe it is reflux. Could this be a result of the syrinx? :cry:
michaudmas

5 year old

Postby Sara » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:53 am

Hi and welcome. Very young children frequently have reflux as a result of chiari malformation. This article specifically discusses the symtpoms that are sometimes to unique to the very young with Chiari and syrinx. It might be of help to you:
http://www.asap.org/articles/102-1.html

As far as the sore throat, have you sat down with your pediatrician and discussed a plan? Have they done cultures?
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

That was one of my daughters biggest complants

Postby lalaswihart » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:31 am

I know my daughters has gotten better since her last surgery, the frist surgeries did not help b/c the syrinx did not get smaller and our neuro here in Tx said it was unrelated our NEW neuro at TCI said it was when we got there the 2 decompression she had had here did not work and che was still very blocked back there, her syrinx was larger and she ha a retroflex adontoid.
long story short all that stuff is behind your throat and he said a lot of his patients complain of this, wish i would have known this before the countless strept throat tests!!!!

Has she had a follow up MRI and does she still have other symptoms?
Laurie
Tx mom of 4 beautiful little ones
8yr old CM1/SM/TC/EDS,
6yr old twins CM1/ TC both possible EDS
4yr old CM1/TC

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
lalaswihart

Return to Pediatrics