Learning and CM1

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Learning and CM1

Postby Beach4me » Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:20 am

How does learning disabilities or ADD relate to Chiari,if at all?

I spoke with my daughters teacher yesterday in passing and she mentioned that she was noticing some "memory" issues? She does not know of the CM1.
Beach4me

Postby emarismom » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:07 am

When my daughter was 5 (in kindergarten and pre decompression), she had alot of brain fog. What I mean by that is that she would be in the middle of a sentence and just "forget the word" she was going to say. This happened alot, usually I would have to give her the word and she could continue on with the sentence. It was very frustrating as these were words she knew and used regualrly.

Post decompression this memory fog issue has gone away. She is now in 3rd grade and is doing fine. She is an average student, reads well, has a good vocabulary, etc. I still have her in speech, even though the school really wants me to take her out.

With all of this, I want you to know that I am a special education teacher. If I were to have a child with this same type of brain fog, I would be concerned. As it definitely can interfere with learning and communication. In my daughter's case the decompression surgery corrected a symptom that the doctors wouldn't even acknowledge was a symptom.
emarismom

Postby lalaswihart » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:51 am

my daughter pre-decompression also had brain fog, memory issues. Post surdery is doing very well. Dr B. said he has kids come in on medication for ADHD and ADD and after surgery they do not need them anymore. I think it goes back to a wrong diagnosis.
My doctor did not think it was a symptom of her Chiari either but when we found another doctor we found out different.
i will keep you in my prayers,
Laurie
Laurie
Tx mom of 4 beautiful little ones
8yr old CM1/SM/TC/EDS,
6yr old twins CM1/ TC both possible EDS
4yr old CM1/TC

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
lalaswihart

Postby Beach4me » Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:20 am

She has been on and off ADD meds since 2nd grade. They did help her grades. But they made her very sleepy which is odd. And she had to be on a high dose in order for them to make a difference.

She has not been on anything this year and her grades are definately dropping. She is trying hard but with now knowing about CM1, perhaps she is not ADD at all.

She also has never been very coordinated and she has one leg that turns in pretty strong. Could this be a symptom? And if so, could it improve any with surgery?

And by the way, you guys are great!
Beach4me

Postby lalaswihart » Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:44 am

my sons leg turns out, I am not sure yet if it will help although doctor thinks so. He amd his twin are scheduled for surgery march 18th at TCI in new york, I knowthat my daughter is a different kid and i feel very good about the twins out come. My sons puituitary (sp?) gland has been smashed flat because of pressure in this head, and so he is 6yrs and the size of a 3yr old, he talked late walked late and has low musle tone.

I am looking forward to the surgery for them and scared at the same time.

God bless, Laurie
Laurie
Tx mom of 4 beautiful little ones
8yr old CM1/SM/TC/EDS,
6yr old twins CM1/ TC both possible EDS
4yr old CM1/TC

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
lalaswihart

Return to Pediatrics