5 year old girl with Syringomyelia

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

5 year old girl with Syringomyelia

Postby Eros » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:20 am

Hey guys, first I want to thank you in advance for any help. My 5 year old sister has been diagnosed with syringomyelia, and we are in panic. She would start crying because she had headaches, and could not move her head to her right, or look up. She had a fever, for about a week. We went to doctors and emergency rooms, and they told us that its probably an infection. Until we went to this one pediatrician, who sent us to do an MRI. the mri found that she has syringomyelia. The doctor is going to contact us early next week about our appointments with the neurologist, and neurosurgeon. He said that her biggest syrinx is 3mm, but she has another smaller one. My mom says the doctor said she has 3, but i only heard two, we were in panic when we first heard it, so we dont know for sure. We dont even know how significant this is, and any help would be appreciated. Also if anyone knows a neurosurgeon, or neurologist who has experience with syringomyelia, in Ontario, Canada, or Michigan, or anywhere in North America, please give us a phone number.

The pedriatician here says that its really rare for kids. The kid is incredibly active, even now she is as active as she has ever been. After the fever went down, she was back to her normal self, and has not complained of headaches, or neck stiffness, or anything else.

Please help,
Thanks, Eros
Eros

nsg

Postby Sara » Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:33 am

Ann Arbor Michigan has a large children's hosptial and they might have a good ped nsg there.
My daughters were treated in Madison, Wi by Bermans Iskandar. He was great and so was the hospital.
http://www.neurosurg.wisc.edu/cv_iskandar.asp
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Postby youngwife » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:51 pm

My daughter was treated by a great doctor in North Carolina.

If you would like any more info, please pm me. :)
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby lovemyblessings » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:57 am

We like our doctor in Detroit, MI. He treats our three with Chiari.
~Dawn~
Blessed Mommy to six amazing blessings here with us
John 10, Marah 8½, Keegan 7½, Luke 5½, Quintin 4½, and Ruth 3
Caleb Logan expected in August and
And three blessings waiting in Glory, including Selah Marie born @ 17 weeks 4/15/2009
lovemyblessings

Return to Pediatrics