Eye Freckle

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Eye Freckle

Postby MatthewsMom » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:11 pm

My 5yr old son has vision problems. Who knows if its due to him having Chiari. He was decompressed January 2007. He lost his glasses at the end of last year. We took him to get another vision test before we ordered new glasses. The Eye Dr. noticed Matthew had a freckle in his eye. Proceeds to tell me this is not common in children and it has to be watched to make sure it does not grow into melanoma.
I am just wondering if any other children with Chiari are going through this too.
MatthewsMom

Re: Eye Freckle

Postby jennyk » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:42 am

MatthewsMom wrote:My 5yr old son has vision problems. Who knows if its due to him having Chiari. He was decompressed January 2007. He lost his glasses at the end of last year. We took him to get another vision test before we ordered new glasses. The Eye Dr. noticed Matthew had a freckle in his eye. Proceeds to tell me this is not common in children and it has to be watched to make sure it does not grow into melanoma.
I am just wondering if any other children with Chiari are going through this too.

My daughter (age 6) has ACM and SM. She too has freckling and must be monitored.
I originally brought her to the neuro-optho because she has a brown line down her otherwise green iris (at 7:00ish). They told me that the line was nothing to worry about but the freckling needed to be watched for "changes".
Thanks for the reminder... she's actually overdue to have it checked again
jennyk

Postby mama3 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Where is your son's freckle? Is this another "symptom" of Chiari?
mama3

Eye

Postby razzle51 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:08 pm

wow that is interesting . I had to look it up .
and also found a pic .
No I would nt think that would be a symptom

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phlezk/100 ... et-248120/

it almost looks like a part of the color in your eye . and adults have them too. :shock:
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Return to Pediatrics