2 year old with HA after decompression surgery.

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

2 year old with HA after decompression surgery.

Postby JWatson » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:35 pm

My 2 year old had his surgery on Dec. 28th and in the last 2 weeks he has started having HA again. They go away, but sometimes seem to be really bad. We have a follow up appt with our Dr on Feb 18th and we will have an MRI that day. Does anyone have any advice?
JWatson

headache

Postby Sara » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:49 pm

sorry to hear about the continued problems. We do see a large number of patients with h/a after decompression caused by an increase in intracranial hypertension. This sometimes manifests itself as hydrocephalus but in other cases shows up as pseudotumor cerebri- this can't be seen on a scan and can only be diagnosed for sure by spinal tap or continuous ICP monitoring. However, sometimes their is a tell-tale sign of swollen optic nerves. Ask the doc if you can have a referral to a neuro-opth who will dilate the eye and check for this finding.
Keep us posted.
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Postby JWatson » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:28 pm

Sara
We had a follow up visit with Dr Fuchs at Duke today. Tyson had an MRI of head, spine and fluid flow study. Everything was good, other than he had some fluid in the space where the bone was taken to make the patch (I know that I am not using the right medical terms...sorry!!). He seems to think that this is the cause of his headaches. He wants to keep a close eye on this. I have to keep a log of his headaches. He has only had a few really bad HA's. The others have gone away with meds and they are not everyday. These are triggered by being the very active 2 year old that he is!! Thanks so much for answering my questions, it is so nice having people that have been through this. I had never heard of Chairi Malformation!!
JWatson

Return to Pediatrics