Irritability, bad mood, just plain mad?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Irritability, bad mood, just plain mad?

Postby Photo Mom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:00 pm

My 10 yr old son has TC and a Syrinx. We haven't been to a neurosurgeon yet, but the appointments are made.
He is a very tight lipped kid, always has been. He doesn't like to be sick or talk about being sick. He denies symptoms, etc, etc....
He has Tourette's, which means he has involuntary tics. He has also been treated for depression for years, but no medication has really ever helped it. I know he is having some symptoms of the TC, like stomach aches. But he will not tell me about them. Sometimes he will admit to a stomach ache, but only if I ask. He has had some leg pain in the past, I have no idea what he is experiencing now. He actually doesn't know about the Tethered Cord and Syrinx yet. His cousin has had 5 surgeries for TC and Chiari. We don't want to make him worry about it until we have to.
He is walking around, irritable, hateful, mad at the world. He won't talk about it. He sometimes has rages, but they are under control for the most part. Lately, he just cannot or will not control his mouth. I don't know if he is in pain, he would certainly deny it if I asked. He fell asleep in class while the teacher was speaking to him on Friday. He sleep until almost noon the next day.
Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar experience? "Frustration" is an under statement. Any suggestions for helping?
Thanks,
Kimberley
Photo Mom

Postby angie7 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:05 pm

Has he ever talked to a counselor? I know when I was kid and having problems with my pain, I didnt tell my parents. I didnt want them to worry about me so I just dealt with it. It made for an unhappy kid somedays. Maybe he just isnt comfortable talking to you about it, but maybe someone that is there just for him, might make him feel better.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby brianfsmom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi Kimberley,

Sorry about your son, that's tough. Lately I have been reading Dr. Oro's blog called 'Chiari Times' and he has an entry on rage, and how in some children the pain of chiari manifests itself as rage. You can try to google 'chiari times' and it should bring up a link to the blog.

As for denying symptoms, that's not so unusual. I wonder if my son does the same sometimes, but only since the surgery, because I always worry now that he would never tell me if his hands were numb again, because maybe he'd rather have numb hands than surgery!

Your son has a lot going on, too. That has to be tough on a ten year old. I wish him well, and you, too.
brianfsmom

Return to Pediatrics