7 yr old CM - double vision concern

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

7 yr old CM - double vision concern

Postby Chrystal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:16 pm

Hi,

I am new to this board and any feedback would be appreciated. My daughter (7) was diagnosed with chiari mal. (22 mm) in January after a week of severe headaches and vomiting. The day after the diagnosis she had decompression surgey. Thankfully she is doing well.

However I am concerned about her eyesight. Before we knew she had CM I had noticed when she was redaing that she would turn her head to the side repeatedly. I wondered then about her eyesight and had eyes checked - 20/20. At her last neurosurgery appt. she "out of the blue" told me she sometimes sees two things - one on top of each other. The neurosurgeon checked her but said that when he had her cover one eye (he only had her cover her left eye) that she was still saying she saw double and that is impossible - he said she was not seeing double.

I really like the doctor but I am unsure about this - it is not like my duaghter to put on. I wonder if she has seen double at times but was not at the moment of the exam - I am not sure. But today while I was reading to her and showing her pictures - she put her head down and started rubbing her head. She told me her head hurt (Same area as before the surgery). I asked if it happened when she was looking at the book and she said yes.

Long story short - the headache was short in duration and nothing compared to what she was having before. It could be related to the recovery period but I am wondering if I need to take her to an opthamologist and see if they can tell if she is indeed having double vision. I know it is serious because it could lead to a lazy eye.

Sorry so long - any feedback would be great.

Chrystal
Chrystal

Postby brianfsmom » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:49 pm

Hi Chrystal

Sorry about your daughter, but glad she is doing well. I would wait through the healing period from the surgery (what did they say, 6 or 8 weeks?) and then take her to a pediatric opthalmologist. It isn't a bad idea to have an exam anyway, chiari aside, and if she has had complaints of double vision, at least it can put your mind at ease. It can certainly do no harm.

I can see why he would say she wasn't having double vision if she said it happened with one eye only. My son used to say he saw double also, but I never really worried too much about it. He ended up needing glasses, and said it didn't happen anymore. However, he had the glasses in second grade and we found out about chiari when he was in fourth, so I often wonder if he did in fact see double when he said he did. Maybe you can ask her to draw a picture of what she sees when she has this double vision?

Good luck with the recovery. It sounds like she is doing very well. You didn't have much time to adjust to the diagnosis, did you? That must have been rough. We found out in December and had the surgery in February, in fact, three years ago tomorrow! :shock:
brianfsmom

Thanks

Postby Chrystal » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:46 pm

Thanks for your reply. I think I am going to wait at least three weeks and see how she does. You are right - we did not have much time to adjust but we were so relieved they found out what it was and could relieve the pain she was going through. How is your son doing since his surgery?
Chrystal

Postby theway-1 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:06 pm

My son was complaining about his eyesight- we took him and found out he has no peripheral vision- they put him in glasses to train his eyes- it is slowly working- the doctor said he was straining his eyes to read, causing his headaches to be worse! My son is 8. good luck
theway-1

Postby brianfsmom » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:49 am

Hi Chrystal

My son is still doing well, thank you. He has a very thorough neurologist who sees him every six months, and has had him go for annual MRIs. We just saw him on Tuesday, and, this time, he said he will decide in August when he needs the next MRI. I was so happy! I stress so much over the MRIs.

He was a little different in that he had no blatant symptoms. I took him in for a slight hand tremor (which he still has) and the doctor found abnormal reflexes and muscle tone in his legs, then I found out his hands were also going numb. This trio of symptoms has resolved and remained resolved ::knock wood!::, which is why the doctor has considered relaxing his monitoring. He said it was important to follow closely during periods of growth, which, at this age, is always.

Good luck with your daughter. I hope it all works out with her eyes.
brianfsmom

Postby Janice » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:57 am

Hi Chrystal,

I'm happy to hear that they found your dd's CM right away and that she was able to be operated on so quickly.

I think brianfsmom made an excellent suggestion of having your dd make a drawing of what she is seeing. I also think her idea of waiting until the recovery period is over, then taking her to the pediatric opthalmologist, is another excellent suggestion.

Take care and I pray she continues to see positive improvement during the recovery period.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to Pediatrics