weight gain and swelling

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

weight gain and swelling

Postby theway-1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:32 pm

I have a question- my 8 yr old was decompressed in Nov of 06- we still have daily headaches, irratibilty, etc... however, my question is since September of last year he has gained about 20 lbs- he out ways his 10 yr old brother by 25 lbs- he also looks swollen in the face and hands to me- I have thought it for a while- drs. dismiss it, however, more and more friends are reconginzing the swelling! what could it be? just thought I would ask for your thoughts!
Thanks
Lisa in Tx
theway-1

Postby lalaswihart » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:29 am

Lisa,
Hi I am also in tx, my daughter also gained wieght and still had headaches and was very grumpy after her 1st and 2nd surgeries here in tx at TCH, That is when my husband and I desided to travel to New York to TCI and we found out that her SM was worse her Cm1 was worse and she had an occult tether cord...not saying this is what is going on with your son, but he sound a lot like her.

Where did u guys have your surgery?

I wish you luck and will keep you in my prayers
Laurie
Tx mom of 4 beautiful little ones
8yr old CM1/SM/TC/EDS,
6yr old twins CM1/ TC both possible EDS
4yr old CM1/TC

"For nothing is impossible with God." Luke 1:37
lalaswihart

Postby theway-1 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Hi there- we had surgery at Childrens in Dallas- Sklar was his surgeon- we have good and bad days- more bad however! I need to have him checked out- however, we have really bad insurance- I had to cancel his MRI in December because my portion after insurance was $4600. I am still paying off 2006 MRI-, but I will do whatever it takes, we are currently trying to change insurance. Thanks
Lisa
theway-1

Return to Pediatrics