Sharing a video montage from my daughter's chiari surgery

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Sharing a video montage from my daughter's chiari surgery

Postby Kristine » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:00 pm

My daughter, Emily, is five years old. We had her brain decompression surgery on Feb 4. That week in the hospital was extremely hard, BUT she made a very quick recovery at home and was totally back to normal within 2 weeks of surgery. Now, almost 4 weeks post op, you would never even know that she went through such a traumatic ordeal. I wanted to share this for others who may be facing this surgery. The best part for us is that my daughter has not had a single headache since her surgery. This is the longest she has gone without a headache in three years.

Click on the link below and you'll be redirected to her montage.
Emily's surgery
Kristine

video

Postby Sara » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:25 pm

Kristine,
Thanks for sharing! Please email me at sarap@cfl.rr.com if you think you might be interested in sharing a montage with the ASAP family for a special project we have in the works.
Thanks!
Sara
Hope and Holly's mom
Sara
Site Admin

Postby Beverley » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:32 pm

Hi Kristine & Emily,

I had my decompression surgery on Feb 8. I loved seeing all the beautiful picture's of you and your family. I am a little bit older than you at 44 yo. I can't say that I am dancing yet. I will work on that this week. lol I love the that kids just get up and get going on with life.

You are an inspirition to me, I will be trying to keep up.
Hope you are feeling wonderful today.

Thanks Beverley
Decompression Surgery Feb 8, 2008 w/Duraplasty & Laminectomy C-1&2
Cervical Disc Fusion 11/08 C5&6/6&7- Mild Disc Bulge L2-Focal Hemangioma
L2-L5-Lipoma 3mm L4&L5-Disc Bulge T11&T12-DDD
Dopa-Responsive Dystonia (DRD)
Beverley

Postby brianfsmom » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:39 pm

Kristine,

that was great! I notice her eyes are bright throughout the whole thing - what a brave kid!

I had to laugh at the can't turn her head one - that reminded me of Brian, after surgery he thrashed his head around so much and I was shocked because I had thought his neck would be stiff.

Well, it just hadn't set in yet, and on the ride to the PICU, he fell asleep. When he woke up, his head was turned to the side, just like your daughter's. The problem? The TV was on the other side! LOL...!

Thanks for posting that video - best wishes for a continued speedy recovery and a future on American Idol (that teapot song will definitely do it)
brianfsmom

Postby Janice » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi Kristine,

Thanks for sharing a part of Emily's life and your family with us. She is such a brave and beautiful little girl. I viewed all the video's and she and Ethan are such blessings.

I pray Emily has continued successful healing.

Take care and you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS

Postby Momofthree » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:36 pm

KHRISTINE AND EMILY,

I JUST SHARED THIS WITH MY DAUGHTER MAURA(7) WHO HAD DECOMPRESSION SURGERY IN OCTOBER. MAURA'S SURGERY WAS NOT QUITE AS SEVERE AND WE WERE ONLY IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 4 DAYS.

MAURA SAYS HELLO TO EMILY AND HOPES SHE CONTINUES TO FEEL BETTER AS SHE HAS. WE HAVE BEEN HEADACHE FREE SINCE DAY 1 OF THE SURGERY AND IT HAS BEEN SO AMAZING. MAURA HAD MILD HEADACHES REGURLARY FOR A YEAR AND THEN HORRIFIC CONTINUOUS PAIN FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS.

THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOUR FAMILY'S EXPERIENCE WITH US IT MADE US FEEL LESS ALONE IN THE STRUGGLE AND NICE TO KNOW THERE ARE PEOPLE OUT THERE THAT UNDERSTAND WHAT CHIARI IS.

COLLEEN AND MAURA GRIER
Momofthree

Postby youngwife » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:03 pm

Emily is SO beautiful!! And so strong!!

I am so very thankful that she is doing better. It brings such joy to my heart to hear that it was worth it.

Thank you so much for sharing, Kristine.
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Return to Pediatrics