Signs of developing syrinx??

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Signs of developing syrinx??

Postby LIZARD110366 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:04 pm

Hey, everyone. :)

My son is 13 1/2 and was dx'ed "by accident" with a 13 mm ACM I at 5 1/2 when we finally got an MRI 3 years after his autism dx. I had been concerned about his extremely rapid head growth as a baby because of my own congenital hydrocephalus, and although he never showed any other signs, I was curious. He was believed to be asymptomatic for several years, but I have noticed in the past few years that he is never cold, seeks the cold, is never thirsty and has to be forced to drink, and even in the summer when he gets decent fluid, he can't sweat and cannot tolerate the heat at all. I'm wondering if this may indicate a syrinx has started to form. Does anyone know? He hasn't had an MRI for some time (about 4 years), but I would like to get one in the coming months to check.

Thanks for any thoughts,

LIZARD :)
LIZARD110366

Postby Sara » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:56 am

These are not the classic signs of syringomyelia in children, but I would go ahead and ask for an MRI if it has been 4 years to check on the Chiari anyway.
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Return to Pediatrics