CM1 returning?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

CM1 returning?

Postby Beach4me » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Has anyone read or seen documentation on the chances of kids having to have decompression surgery again in the future?
Beach4me

second surgery

Postby Sara » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:49 am

Second surgeries can be necessary for a few reasons:
1. in a very young child, the bone can regrow and in some cases if the child's chiari could recur and they could need additional surgery
2. the decompression could not be large enough, or become obstructed with scar tissue and a syrinx could persist requiring a second surgery.

ASAP has a video tape on clearance called Failed Chiari surgery which addresses reasons why the surgery doesn't work. it is only $5.00 ID: VID-05-02
https://s.p10.hostingprod.com/@asap.org ... ideo_Tapes

Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Postby lcolangelo » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:59 pm

My 9 year old daughter has had 3 decompression surgeries-- sorry to say. She is more than likely going to need another withen the next year. Our surgeon believes because of her young age-- she keeps getting bony regrowth around the decompression site
lcolangelo

Postby brianfsmom » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:54 pm

lcolangelo

That's really scary!! Do they think this will continue happening? I know I have heard of it, but in the cases I have heard, the kids have been younger, and one additional surgery has done the trick.

at least I assume when they go in they "just" have to do the bony decompression? How is the duraplasty holding up, or didn't she have one?

I wish you and your daughter luck. I hope they will be wrong and she won't need another. How much time is she getting in between surgeries?

Best wishes to you for an end to the surgeries; noone should have to go through all of this :/
brianfsmom

Return to Pediatrics