Zach

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Zach

Postby Karen Phillips » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:29 am

Hello,
My name is Karen.My son 7 year old Zach has chairi 1 with a syrinx.He just had surgery on March 10th.He did great they did not have to do a dura patch.I have noticed in the past 2 days he walks with a slight limp, he looks like he is walking in his tip toes on his right leg. This does not seem normal.Has anyone else ever had this probelm? Please let me know.
Thanks,
Karen
Karen Phillips

Postby Janice » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:17 am

Hi Karen and Welcome!!

I'm sorry to hear about your son, however, it is good to know that he has been treated with surgery and is already up walking around a week later.

Prior to surgery, was your son checked for Tethered Cord? Was he seen by an expert in Chiari (CM) and Syringomyelia (SM)?

Most times, especially with smaller children, it is necessary to take the child to an expert.

It's still early in the healing process, so it's possible with physical therapy, the limp will go away. However, if you're worried, you should mention this to his doctor in case there is an underlying issue.

Has he ever walked on tip toe before?

Take care and you and your son are in my thoughts and prayers.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to Pediatrics