what should we expect at 1st visit with neurosurgeon?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

what should we expect at 1st visit with neurosurgeon?

Postby camsmom » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:59 pm

We are taking our son to see Dr. Gerald Grant at Duke next week. Cameron has Chiari I malformation. Has anyone met with him? I think he has worked in Washington and TX in the past. What should we expect at this first visit? We will be taking Cam's MRIs and flow study results with us. Anything else we should take?
Thanks!
camsmom

Postby youngwife » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:19 pm

When my daughter saw her neurosurgeon for the first time, we didn't wait long, and then spent the first hour just talking and answering his questionnaire. We laughed so much at how Rachael and I would have different answers for the same question.

The next hour was a very thorough neurological exam. We could not believe all the tests that the other NS had missed. We were amazed at how much he found. Lots of balance skills, vision, feeling, and strength testing.

Then we looked at the MRI's together. He explained what we were looking at in depth, and answered our (well actually my) many questions. He also had a model of a skull to show us exactly what was wrong and why. We came away so much more knowledgeable and reassured.

The visit was probably about 2-2.5 hours long. But, we enjoyed it, so it wasn't a problem at all.

I hope yours go very well, and that you come away with answers to your questions. :)
Homeschooling mom to 6 wonderful blessings from the Lord. ~ "Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers." - Ephesians 4:29
youngwife

Postby Beach4me » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Our first visit was to Dr. Fuchs at Duke. I liked him and the staff there. I found them to be kid friendly. My daughter felt comfortable and at ease. He did explain alot and showed us pictures from her MRI. He was patient and answered our questions and even those we had not thought of. It lasted about an hour.

Our second visit (to another Dr.) was not as good, in the sense that he did not come across very confident and he said some things that contridicted the research I had done and consistent things on the message boards. My daughter was not comfortable and we waited over an hour just to get into a room. He did give us plenty of time and answered questions. But too wishy washy about the direction we should consider.
Beach4me

Postby Sara » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:42 am

Bring a list of all the symptoms and long list of every question you have- start jotting now!
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Postby KyliesSis » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:42 pm

I agree with Sara, the best thing you can do is keep a journal of your child's symptoms. It helps a lot! Good luck!
Proud Sister of 6 year old Kylie
SM C3-C4 and T10-T11
Tethered Cord Syndrome
Spina Bifida
Scoliosis
Kyphosis
KyliesSis

Postby JWatson » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:49 pm

My son is a patient of Dr Fuchs at Duke. He has a chiari 1 and had surgery on 12/28/07. We had a chance to meet Dr Grant while we were in the hospital. Dr fuchs was leaving for vacation that day, but took the time to come and introduce us to Dr Grant (very nice man). I was very happy with Duke. They did a wonderful job with Tyson (2 1/2). We had our 1st follow up mri done in feb and everything was great. If I had to do it over again, I would not change a thing.
JWatson

Return to Pediatrics