Anyone else get HomeHealth Care?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Anyone else get HomeHealth Care?

Postby Dustin » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:46 pm

Dax came home Monday after spending 5 months in the hospital. The first day was a little rough, but he adjusted well the next two days. We have home health care 12 hours a day.

So far we have been pleased with only one of our caregivers. She plays with Dax, always asks if she needs to do something, and overall has stayed busy. The other two have not faired so well. One constantly gets personal calls on her cell phone, watches tv, doesn't really check Dax that often to see if he needs anything (ie spot check pulse ox, trache bag, vent check, etc...). It may be that my wife and I are used to giving him all his care even when we were in the hospital or the caregivers are getting paid to soak up the AC in this Texas heat.

Is there another forum on another website for parents that have home health for their children???

I have Googled till my fingers fell off looking for FAQ's and resources for pediatric home health.

Does anyone here have home health for their child? How do you keep your nurse busy?

Thanks in advance!
Dustin

Postby Janice » Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:49 pm

I didn't have home health for my child. I had it for myself. First of all, I didn't watch much television so that wasn't a problem.

If you're having difficulty with the level of service (especially those personal phone calls :?: ), you need to contact the service and either request the person you're comfortable with permanently or have them send someone else. Let them know the difficulty you're having.

This is a child with equipment that should be monitored, also if it's a ped nurse they should try to entertain the child some time (like during the tv program).

I understand your worry and concern and you should definitely take this up with the facility providing the service.

Take care and I pray everything works out and Dax gets the level of care he deserves.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby dtyree » Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:12 am

I echo what Janice has already stated. Get in touch with the service and explain your concerns. This is your son, you have expectations and need to communicate them with the care service, hold them accountable for what they should be providing. And at a level that you and your wife desire.

Glad to hear that Dax is home, I'm sure all of you have been down a rough road. I pray for his continued improving and that some peace is finally restored for all!!

Peace,
David
Been called a "walking medical dictionary".
dtyree

Return to Pediatrics