Neuro. in Ca.?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Neuro. in Ca.?

Postby jholden » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am

Hello,

My daughter had decompression and tethered cord surgery in NY. Her tethered cord surgery was Nov. 5th, so we are five months out. Her decompression was Dec. 26th.

After the surgery, most of the tethered cord symptoms had disappeared. We were so happy! Now, many of them have returned. The most disturbing being terrible leg pain.

We just went to TCI for followup, and they said its too soon and she needs more time to heal. I'd like to get a second opinion, but nobody will take her on as a patient. We are STUCK. Any ideas? Anybody has a child who's taken so long to recover?
jholden

Postby Janice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:10 pm

Hi JHolden,

Your friend just posted and I provided her with the information below. I hope you can find help for your daughter soon.

I have heard that it could take up to a year to really seen any significant improvement.

Information provided to Laurie:
What area of California do you live in?

If you're close to LA, I would recommend UCLA. Dr. Bartdorff is supposed retired but there are doctors who mentored under him and there can provide adequate treatment. Your daughter is about 3 1/2 months post-op so she really does need more time to heal. Healing is a slow process with these types of surgeries.

If you're close to San Diego, I would recommend UCSD. I'm not aware of any doctors there but the most well known doctors work there. If they accepted my insurance, and at least 2 of my doctors were affiliated, I would go there regardless of the distance. I would have to travel a bit and I don't do well with even an hour car ride.

I'm not familiar with any other ares of California, as far as doctors are concerned. I hope either one listed above is helpful to you.

Take care and I pray your daughter has a successful recovery with significant improvement.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby Janice » Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:13 am

Oops! That's who I mean. Thanks Keesha.

Take care,
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to Pediatrics