Post-Op Advice

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Post-Op Advice

Postby loriwithtriplets » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Our three year old son Brady just had his decompression surgery yesterday. The surgeon made a small opening in the skull and took out a fiborous band that wrapped around the C1 vertabrae. When he did those two things, he could see his brain move up and the CF immediately start to flow. While he was opened up they simulated parts of his brain and tested how different parts of his body responded. He said that his responsedsimproved significantly after the surgery. He did not have to open the dura, which we were extremely happy to learn.

He's in the ICU now and is still in a lot of pain. We have several questions for all of you. What can we expect over the next several days? How long did your kids stay in the hospital? What were your lessons learned in helping your kids recover?

I have another question regarding the surgery. I don't ever remember reading anything about removing a "fiborous band" in the neck. Has another else ever heard of that? Did your kids condition improve after taking that out?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Michael and Lori
loriwithtriplets

Re: Post-Op Advice

Postby jonesjam » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:15 pm

Hello. My 14 year old daughter had the same surgery. They also removed the fiberous band and did not open the dura. It is amazing how quickly they recover. We went home the next day from surgery. Day two was a little rougher and she had some nausea. Hope your little guy bounces back quickly.
jonesjam

Re: Post-Op Advice

Postby Chatham chic » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:33 pm

Couple of questions. Trying to learn more about CM/SM.

When the NS went in to do the surgery, was that their plan, was to remove the band OR was the band something they didn't realize was there until they began the surgery?

Also, does everyone have this band or does it seem that only some people have it?
Chatham chic

Return to Pediatrics