Untethering Surgery on Monday

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Untethering Surgery on Monday

Postby Dakota's Mom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:30 am

Hi, everyone. It has been awhile since our last post. We have been in Omaha since February for an intensive day treatment program for therapy for Dakota. It has been a long road with lots of rewarding benefits, but being 11 hours from home has been hard. The good news is that Dakota's untethering surgery is scheduled for this Monday at 7:00 am. He began experiencing more bladder infections and incontinence. MRI showed that the syrinx has not changed (still C2-T8). His scoliosis has progressed a little. He has a slight plexiform tumor on the skin only but at the lumbar area (had since birth). They think that this is masking the tethered cord and he probably has spina bifida occulta. He has very low bone mineral density due to the Neurofibromatosis, so surgery is going to take a little longer due to this plus the tumor. We will keep you posted. Please keep out little guy in your prayers. We are hoping this surgery will help him in so many ways. Please share any experience, suggestions, and advice for pre and post surgery to help with recovery. What can we expect? You can go to http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/dakotarayprice to learn about Dakota and his life with NF, SM, and autism. Thanks, Rachel
Dakota's Mom

Re: Untethering Surgery on Monday

Postby Janice » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:43 am

Hi Rachel,

I'm happy to hear that Dakota has had rewarding benefits through the treatment program. I know it's hard being so far from home but it's for a good cause which makes it a little easier.

I pray he has a successful surgery and recovery. Thanks for sharing Dakota's page with us.

(((((hugs to you all)))))

Take care and you all are in my thoughts and prayers.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Re: Untethering Surgery on Monday

Postby Dakota's Mom » Thu May 01, 2008 2:42 pm

Thanks so much!
:D Rachel
Mom to Dakota (11)--Neurofibromatosis, SM (C2-T8), Left Thoracic Scoliosis, Seizure Disorder, Autism with Cognitive Impairment, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, Untethering surgery 5/08
and Joshua (8)--happy, healthy, and supportive brother
Dakota's Mom

Return to Pediatrics