Untethering and SM/Scoliosis

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Untethering and SM/Scoliosis

Postby Dakota's Mom » Tue May 06, 2008 3:40 pm

Hello. Dakota had his untethering surgery yesterday, and he is doing ok today. Typical post surgery stuff. They are expecting him to be in the hospital until Saturday at the earliest. When we get home, I will post the pictures from the surgery. They are amazing. His neurosurgeon and neurologist thought the MRIs were always a little murky (not really showing a tethered cord), but the NS felt that it had to be done. He said that he knew as soon as he opened up his spine that he would see the need to untether. Well, he was even surprised. The fillum terminale was 5 times bigger than it should have been, and it was very, very tight, thick, and fibrous. He said that Dakota's nerves were visibly spasming (and people wondered if his back, legs, and feet really hurt!), but as soon as the ligament was cut, it sprung back perfectly and the spasms stopped almost immediately! Here is hoping that the scoliosis and SM stop progressing and maybe even correct themselves. Thanks for reading and responding to the surgery post! Rachel
Mom to Dakota (11)--Neurofibromatosis, SM (C2-T8), Left Thoracic Scoliosis, Seizure Disorder, Autism with Cognitive Impairment, Osteoporosis, Hypothyroidism, Untethering surgery 5/08
and Joshua (8)--happy, healthy, and supportive brother
Dakota's Mom

Re: Untethering and SM/Scoliosis

Postby Janice » Tue May 06, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi Rachel,

Thank you for posting the update of Dakota's surgery. I'm very happy to hear that his surgery was successful and I pray he is now on the road to a successful recovery.

Take care, (((((hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Re: Untethering and SM/Scoliosis

Postby mumof4darlings » Wed May 07, 2008 3:48 pm

hi,
I hope dakota continues to improve. You must be overjoyed!I wish i could find a ns to help my daughter. Can i ask where your son is being treated, do you have an email address so i can try email them over my daughters mri.

Many Thanks
s
mumof4darlings

Return to Pediatrics