NS intervention, acm,sm,sc suffer.....minimal invasive 40min

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

NS intervention, acm,sm,sc suffer.....minimal invasive 40min

Postby bea » Fri May 16, 2008 1:46 am

My name is Beatriz, I am 29 years old, from Alicante, Spain and I was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis when I was 11 years old.
Please read my story and read my neurosurgeons web page, as I am sure that others whom seem to be suffering will find it very interesring as it was for me, Dr Royo´s intervention is of todays technology, and gone are the days of 4days in hospital, and then recovery, I was in only for a night and they discharged me the day after, 24 hrs only and most importanly i am and feek fantastic,,,,,,read on

As my curvature was progressing very fast I had to wear a brace for my back during my teenage years, from 12 till I was 16 years old. My curvature when removing my brace was 35 degrees. I managed fine as I started doing yoga which definitely helped, giving me flexibility and a good posture. However, for the past 5 years I started to develop pain on the thoracic area which was present most of the time.

In 2006 I decided to have some x-rays of my back as I was suffering more and more from strong pain on the dorsal and lumbar area as well as tingling and a feeling of weakness on both my hands. I discovered that my scoliosis had progressed 10 degrees in the last 5 years. I was devastated as doctors previously told me that my back would not get any worse. My doctor and chiropractor told me there is nothing I could do; the only way to stop it from progressing would be to have an operation on my back which was very invasive. I decided to look for an alternative solution in order to stop my curvature from progressing.

By chance, I found the website of Instituto Neurologico de Barcelona with a solution for scoliosis, in which they mentioned that a simple and non invasive operation could stop the progression of my spinal column. After doing my research, I contacted the clinic and they gave me detailed information about the procedure etc. It was only necessary to stay in hospital for one day. Dr. Royo described the procedure in great detail and made me feel very relaxed and in good hands. I had the operation in December 07 and I have to say that I feel soooo much better, it’s definitely the best decision I have done in my whole life. A few hours after the operation when I woke up I immediately felt so much looser, the constant tension and pulling of my back were gone. It was unbelievable. I also noticed my muscles were much more relaxed than before. I couldn’t believe that such an easy and non invasive procedure could have tremendous effects. The next day I was sightseeing in Barcelona. I returned to the UK in 4 days.

It’s now 4 months after the operation and I have to say I haven’t had back pain since then, I don’t even remember I have scoliosis anymore as I don’t feel the constant tension and discomfort all over my back…The tingling in my hands has disappeared and I feel my fingers are now more agile. I have also noticed that when I do yoga my back is much more flexible than before and the feeling of tightness has disappeared. My posture has definitely improved and I feel my back is straighter.

I feel so fortunate and thankful for being able to have this operation done. I would definitely recommend this procedure to anyone suffering from idiophatic scoliosis.

If you are thinking about having this procedure and would like to contact me my email is beagomfran@yahoo.com
bea

Return to Pediatrics