New here. My 6mo. old has tethered spine?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

New here. My 6mo. old has tethered spine?

Postby kimberlydax » Sat May 24, 2008 3:02 am

I am new here. Glad I found this group. My daughter, who is almost 6 mo. old had an MRI when she was 3 months old. They gave her one because she was born with two sacral dimples. They found that she has a tethered cord and some fatty tissue in her spine and liquid. We went to the pediatric neurosurgeon on Wednesday and he explained everything to us. We also scheduled her surgery for June 2nd. I am soo nervous, scared, you name it, I am feeling it right now. Has anyone ever had to go through this with any of your babies?? Kids?? She is just soo tiny, and is a miracle anyways with all the crap she went through in me in the begininig. I can;t help it has something to do with this now! Please, someone calm me down. .. Thanks in advance.Kim :cry:
kimberlydax

Re: New here. My 6mo. old has tethered spine?

Postby Janice » Sat May 24, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi Kim,

I am so sorry to hear that your baby is going through this. Have you researched information on tethered cord (TC)? There are numerous adults who have this condition but it is most common in babies/children. I believe that for a doctor to be knowledgeable enough to find this problem is a blessing. I know you're scared. I have 2 children that had to have surgery when they were within 6 months of age. Although you're scared of the outcome and are being told this is a surgery that should happen ASAP, make sure you're comfortable with the surgeon. This can help in easing your mind.

Ask all the questions you can think of and make sure you know how long the surgery is expected to last. Bring things to the hospital to take your mind away, make sure you have family and friends around to provide support while you're waiting for your baby to get to recovery.

The only comfort I can offer you is that your baby will heal much faster and she won't even remember the surgery took place. Neither of my babies did and to tell you the truth, once they healed enough to start playing around, I forgot too.

You and your baby are in my thoughts and prayers. Let us know the outcome. (((((hugs)))))

Take care and I pray she has a successful surgery and recovery.
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Re: New here. My 6mo. old has tethered spine?

Postby Sara » Sun May 25, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm sorry your little one is having to undergo surgery at such a young age, but finding the lipoma and tethered cord early is a good thing. Many times these kids are undiagnosed until they have trouble walking and after serious bladder function is loss. Are you having surgery at a children's hospital? Most have wonderful child life departments and they will be your best friend. They can help alot with making her comfortable after surgery. I know it's tough, but you will find the strength you need. Please ask any questions and let us know how things go.
Sara
Sara
Site Admin

Return to Pediatrics