Child with Sympathy Pains

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Child with Sympathy Pains

Postby dawnl06512 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:16 pm

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right board to post this on, but it seemed fitting.

I was diagnosed early May w/2 syrinx in my spine and my PCP sent me to the ER the next day for emergency surgery. Of course, after 8 hours at the ER, I was told that the syringes were not acute enough and I should come in through the clinic for follow up.

I have an 8 year old son w/social and emotional issues (being tested for Asperbergers Syndrome) and it was hell having to tell him I was going to have emergency surgery. It devastated him. (I am a single parent). Once I didn't have it, I didn't tell him I'd never have surgery, just told him not now so I didn't catch him off guard again.

Here is the problem....about 3 or 4 weeks ago, he began complaining of pain in his legs and arms, headaches and stomach aches (all mommy symptoms). Right now he is writhing and crying in his bed "make it stop, make it stop". I'm sure he is feeling the pain, and I've massaged his legs and given him tylenol, but nothing seems to help. I agreed to take him to the Dr. and I'll call him first to explain, but I just don't know how to put his mind at ease so that he won't have to worry about me (such a big job for a little kid) and hopefully then the pains will go away on their own. Any suggestions/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Dawn
Start with whats necessary, then whats possible and suddenly you are doing the impossible. St. Francis of Assissi
dawnl06512

Re: Child with Sympathy Pains

Postby Janice » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:28 pm

Hi Dawn,

My granddaughter, age 6, does this. I asked her if she hurts because I hurt and she said "yes". This lets me know that she was not in pain. She still does it today. She mimicks all the pains that I have, at different times. She doesn't want to let me out of her sight and she puts papa out of the bed so she can sleep with me. She wants to keep an eye on me and be able to rub my legs down when they're tremoring.

Ask him if he hurts because you do. I asked in a playful way. It's hard because you want to be there for them if they really do hurt. If there is something he can do to help you, let him. It might help to get him involved in what's going on with you. Maybe he wants to help but doesn't know what he can do. Maybe by helping you, when he can, he'll begin to understand the difference in actually being sick, from having sympathy pains. I like the way you put that.

If I come up with other suggestions, I'll let you know. However, I think you're doing the right thing in taking him to see the doctor. With kids, you never know. There really could be something wrong.

Take care and it's awesome that you posted this subject. (((((hugs)))))
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Return to Pediatrics