New Diagnoses with some questions

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

New Diagnoses with some questions

Postby Bear » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:30 am

My 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Chiari in December 2007. Just this week one of my sons (he's 9) was diagnosed as well. We haven't gotten the full spinal MRI yet. We are waiting for the dr. to call about that. My son is totally differnet as far as my daughter has been with symptoms. She has motor and speech delays and also has neck and head pain. My son started with morning vomiting. He has stomach pain everyday. He is also experiencing chest pain. The pediatric stomach doctor does not think it is being caused by an actual stomach problem but possibly the Chiari. My question is does anyone have experience with their children and these symptoms? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Bear

Re: New Diagnoses with some questions

Postby lttutrow » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:25 am

Yes, my 9 y.o. has both chest and stomach pains. In fact, long before we knew he had a Chiari/Syrinx, he complained of chest pain. We had started treating the chest pain as asthma related, but his inhaler often didn't help it. His stomach things have been more so in the last year or so with nausea and low appetite. He thinks he is hungry sometimes, and things sound good to him, but a bite or two in and he's done. He has started calling these "not good food days", and prefers to just drink fluids when he's having these.
Lori
lttutrow

Postby texassyrinx » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:17 pm

You both and your children are on my prayer list. wow this must be so difficult for you both as mothers to watch your darlings go throught so much. Good luck. This is why I love this site so much\. These conditions are so rare but yet you can find someone who does know what you are going through. God Bless you both.

HUGS,

Mary-Ann
texassyrinx

Postby Bear » Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:22 pm

Thank you both very much for your replies. They are very much appreciated!
Erin
Bear

Postby lttutrow » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:33 pm

Please keep us posted on how the full spine MRI goes, I will be praying for you and your family!!
Lori
lttutrow

Postby Bear » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:37 am

Thank you very much, Lori. I will post when we have the results. His MRI is on Thursday.
Erin
Bear

Return to Pediatrics