leg pain?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

leg pain?

Postby brianfsmom » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:07 pm

This is a topic I always see discussed and never described. Can anyone describe the leg pain that comes with chiari/SM? My son had leg pain before his surgery 2 1/2 years ago, always in the backs of his legs, behind the knees, after a hard day of play. This hasn't happened since.

However, he has been complaining of some pain in just one leg for the past few days. The difference with this is that it isn't hurting him when he rests, but it causes him to limp when he walks. The pain is along the outside of the leg, and he says feels sore and stiff, and not like the old pains (which he also says he doesn't really remember!)

I am hoping he just twisted something. Anyway, he has his MRI and neurology follow-up in two weeks, so really I am just trying to put some fears to rest. What will be, will be, I tell myself every year at this time :wink:

The main activity the day before this was playing wii sports - strange as it sounds, I do wonder if he pulled a leg muscle while twisting during a heated game of wii baseball or tennis!

But thanks for any descriptions - are they generally on one side or both? Which part of the leg? Do they hurt when the leg is in use or at rest? Does the pain come and go or is it constant?

Thanks again!
brianfsmom

Postby angie7 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:34 pm

My leg pain is both legs, from hip to toes, including joint pain in my hips and knees. Some days it feels like a severe charlie horse others it is a deep, intense pain, almost like it is in the bone.

The pain usually hurts worse when I am using them but also hurts while resting as well.

Hope that helps just a little!

Oh, btw, I am 27 y/o, not a child but not too old yet :wink: I do remember having lots of back pain and leg pain as a child and it still feels the same, but is more severe now that I am older.
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

Postby drummergrl » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:18 pm

whenever my legs get to me, it's a charlie-horse like pain. They're pretty intense and usually last longer than a typical charlie horse. I also get throbbing pain around my hips when I'm sitting too long. Everyone's different, but that's how it goes with me!
CM, SM, Scoliosis
drummergrl

leg pain

Postby brianfsmom » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:11 am

Thanks Angie and drummergirl -

I guess that was not what his pain was, then, after all. Thankfully, it is gone, and so is his odd limp. It did seem different from his old chiari/SM pains. I pray every day that they will never come back! He has his MRI tomorrow and follow-up on Friday. I hate these weeks! wish us luck.

Now, I am the one with leg pain, in my knee. But that is because I am old and falling apart (yes, Angie - 27 is 'not that old yet!!')
brianfsmom

Re: leg pain

Postby angie7 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 12:34 pm

I hope all is well with his mri's!! I know how stressful they can be. I am waiting on 2 mri's I had last Friday to see if I have tethered cord and/or another syrinx in my thoracic spine before I get a surgery date for my neck...It's just all so crazy :roll:

brianfsmom wrote:Now, I am the one with leg pain, in my knee. But that is because I am old and falling apart (yes, Angie - 27 is 'not that old yet!!')

It's old enough in a body that feels much older then 27 :lol:
Mama to 4 y/o ID twin girls (2006)
CM 0, C5-T1 syrinx, Scoliosis, Hypotension; PFD 2004
Deg Disc C4/5,Cervical Kyphosis-repaired 07 w cadavar bone graph & plate w 4 screws
angie7

leg pain

Postby brianfsmom » Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:58 pm

Thank you Angie!

Good luck with yours, too! We'll get the results on Friday when we see the neurologist. So I am stressed about tomorrow, but I will probably need sedatives on Friday! Every year, instead of getting better, I get more anxious about these visits!

Why do they think you have tethered cord? Sorry you need neck surgery - hope it goes well for you!

Jane
brianfsmom

Return to Pediatrics