Which surgery?

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Which surgery?

Postby Becky1219 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:16 pm

Hi,
I'm new here and to CM, SM, TCS, etc...but not new to surgeries/hospitalizations for my little guy. Jack was a 30 weeker due to esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula. He has had a rough first 2 years of life, but is still an amazingly happy guy. We just found out about his CM1, SM, TCS, hydrocephalus, and other brain anomalies. He had his tethered cord released last week. He has his post-op check up with his NS on Wednesday and we will also be discussing the next step. Prior to his tethered cord surgery his NS said Jack definitely needs a shunt for his hydrocephalus, but hasn't really mentioned much about the possibility of decompression for the CM. I guess my questions are: Do NS usually try shunts 1st and then decompression if that isn't enough to help? Does the age of the child make a difference in what is tried first? What symptoms do most NS think warrant decompression? Any info. from others with experience with the CM/hydrocephalus combo would be helpful and much appreciated.
Becky, wife to Mike, mom to Logan 4/3/04 and Jack 5/4/07 30 weeker EA/TEF, bowel perforation, CM1, SM, TCS, hydrocephalus, metopic synostosis, thin corpus callosum, decreased myelin, and the many issues that go along with these
Becky1219

Re: Which surgery?

Postby Sara » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:22 am

hydro is often treated first at it can sometimes be the cause of the Chiari. If his Chiari gets better or doesn't have any symptoms, they usually leave it alone and just monitor it. My daughter has hydrocephalus and has been shunted since the age of 7. She's almost 15 now.
Sara
www.caringbridge.org/visit/hopeandholly
Sara
Site Admin

Return to Pediatrics