Chiari and mild scoliosis

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Chiari and mild scoliosis

Postby wandra » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:09 am

My daugther was diagnosis with chiari 1 in April 2009 - and now mild( scoliosis:). Please help me: tell me the in/outs of scoliosis.
wandra

Re: Chiari and mild scoliosis

Postby emarismom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:38 am

The scoliosis is related to the Chiari. Has your daughter had an MRI of the spine to determine if Syringomyelia is present?
How old is your daughter? The scoli will have to be monitored every 5 to 6 months by xray until maturity. If there is no progression then you may not have to do anything else :P
emarismom

Postby wandra » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:59 am

She is 17, she has an mri whole spine, schedule this month.
wandra

Postby razzle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:57 pm

Make sure she sees a Chiari expert . A neurosurgeon . where do you live?
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby wandra » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:15 am

In north Carolina.
wandra

Postby jupes » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Hi and welcome!

As mentioned in the previous post it is recommended that you see a NS who is experienced with chiari. Dr Rosner is from NC and many members on this board have used him.
He no longer does peds cases but he may be able to see your daughter since she is 17. I know youngwife has brought her children to him and had positive experience-you may want to send her a pm or hopefully she will respond to this post. Many of us have had to travel to find a CM/SM peds expert.

Scoliosis is common in children with this. My 13 yr old has this as well as CM/SM. She is just being monitored with periodic MRI's now and seems to be doing pretty well.

Good luck with everything and let us know if you have any questions. This site has a lot of great medical articles and a couple good online videos that discuss CM/SM in children!

Hugs and prayers to you and your daughter!

Julie
14 yr old DD with CM 0/SM and mild scoliosis.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
jupes

Return to Pediatrics