Pain in Salt Water???

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Pain in Salt Water???

Postby JenandLuli » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:08 am

A New possible symptom has come up and I wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar...
We go to the beach alot... last sunday at the beach Luli start screaming that her legs were hurting her... the kind of scream that turns your stomach! :cry:
She had been in the water and I thought that maybe she had a cut or scratch that the salt water was hurting. There was nothing.
We went to the beach again on thursday... SAME THING! After playing in the water for a few min. she started screaming in pain. I have 4 other kids in the water... they are experiencing nothing.
So Saturday at the beach dh and I were really watching her. And she wouldn't go in the water... I could tell she was afraid. At one point a wave came up higher and got her legs wet. We waited and sure enough... she said "my legs are hurting but I'm not going to cry." :cry:
She baths and swims in the pool no problem, it's only salt water.
Could this be a nerve/sensory problem caused by the syrinx??? I am wondering if there is something in the salt water that her nerves don't now how to decipher and interpret as pain.
Oh, and this is new... last year it didn't happen and early this month it didn't happen.
Weird!
Jen
Mommy to Luli - 6 years old
SM - Torticollis - Plagiocephaly
Surgery on lower syrinx Nov. 09
JenandLuli

Re: Pain in Salt Water???

Postby nomadmom » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:23 pm

I don't know what this could be? Are there jelly fish in the water. Sometimes there tentacles are free floating and that can cause the stinging. Also when we lived on the gulf of mexico there was something called red tide that bothered my kids.

I am sure this doesn't help!

Gabrielle
nomadmom

Re: Pain in Salt Water???

Postby razzle » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:39 am

We answered you on the other post. R
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Return to Pediatrics