Swelling and unexplained weight gain in 9yr old

Have a child with SM/Chiari? Share issues unique to children and their caregivers.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Swelling and unexplained weight gain in 9yr old

Postby theway-1 » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:26 pm

My son was decompressed in Nov of 2005, he still has his headaches, etc... he is in pain management and therapy to learn how to deal with the daily pain, my question is he has gained weight...he is a decent eater...however, does not eat alot, and plays baseball, rides bike, and is outside everyday...he does not sit and watch tv. So he should not gain weight like he has and he looks swollen sometimes. Has anyone else had these syptoms?
theway-1

Re: Swelling and unexplained weight gain in 9yr old

Postby jupes » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:00 am

Hello!
Sorry your son is still having pain and other symptoms since his surgery. As for the weight gain problem, I guess I would wonder if it could be a side effect from one of his medications. I would check with his Doctor and also see if he should have blood work done to make sure there are no other medical conditions causing this.

My child and others around the 9-11yr range went through a period of weight gain prior to a growth spurt/puberty. This may be whats going on with your son too.

Good luck!
Julie
14 yr old DD with CM 0/SM and mild scoliosis.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding" Proverbs 3:5
jupes

Re: Swelling and unexplained weight gain in 9yr old

Postby theway-1 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 am

Thanks,
He is no longer on meds, we just medicate when headaches get to a certain point! Growth spurt is an idea!
theway-1

Return to Pediatrics