Traction

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Traction

Postby princesk8 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Last NS I saw suggested very light traction for my neck. Is this really okay to do? I've read on other sites that it's not, so I don't know if anyone here has tried it and if it has helped. I will also ask my PT and see what he says.
Chiari 1 7 mm & Syrinx C5-T10. Scoliosis(22 degree L & 20 degree T curve). 2.4 cm Arachnoid Cyst at lower left occipital lobe. Bulging Disk C5-C6, C6-C7 & L5-S1. Early facet arthrosis L2-L4. Mild inferior foraminal narrowing L4-S1
princesk8

Re: Traction

Postby karenb » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 pm

Last year, I had a car wreck, and the Physical Therapists wanted to use traction on my neck (just like the normally do for whiplash). Both of my neurologists and my Physiatrist (rehab physician) told me that under no circumstances should I ever have traction, due to the syrinx. My syrinx is T6-T9, and the auto accident just traumatized my cervical spine & shoulders, but they still told me to never allow a physical therapist to put me in traction, not even just my neck.
karenb

Postby magnolia » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:19 pm

I visited my NS recently and asked him about traction for my neck - my pt wanted to know if it would be okay to do this. My NS said he didn't recommend neck traction at all and also basically said to never do anything that involves the neck (ie. exercises, stretches, straining). I did have manual neck traction a couple of times (this was a while back, before I knew about the chiari) and it made it easier to swallow, but that was about it.
magnolia

Postby razzle » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:01 am

if you havent had surgery for the chiari then no traction , no exercise or manipulation what so ever.
Once you choose hope, anything's possible.

Roz( Razzle51 or Rosalyn
Iowa
razzle

Postby karenb » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:49 pm

Razzle,

When I had my car wreck last year, and had neck/shoulder injuries (my SM is T6-T9) my rehab doc approved limited gentle cervical traction to easy the pain & spasms in my neck. She refused approval for this treatment longterm, as did my NL, because even limited traction can, over time, traumatize the rest of the spinal cord.

Karen
karenb

Return to Equipment/Accessibility