Time for powered mobility: suggestions please

Questions and information about accessibility, equipment and related issues.

Moderator: pmaxwell

Time for powered mobility: suggestions please

Postby marymac » Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:01 pm

Hi Ho All: Been quite awhile since posting but took time out to be a grandmother! What fun. However, I have realized I am ready for powered something: my hands are one of my biggest problems, so it will have to be a simple joy stick or easy handlebars: I don't know. I'm a small person (5'2"115 lbs) and had hoped to get something I could take apart and put in back of car? Is that a possibility? So much new stuff out there: but suspension is also important: thinking wheelchair is only option but hope not because of the weight. I also am old, 63, but in pretty good shape upper body wise(swimming). No way do I want to aggravate my syrinx, which is entire spine from C3-conus. Amazed I still go out? Me too but grew up in the USMC and that's all I know how to do: pull yourself up by the bootstraps and carry on! Hover round? Clueless: please give any suggestions you have. Thanks my friends. Oh and I have Medicare plus Blue Plan.
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Re: Time for powered mobility: suggestions please

Postby pmaxwell » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:12 pm

Congratulation on the Grandmother part!

I was not seeing any post on here so I quit checking but today thought I should see if anything was going on that might need my attention.

You might want to get an evaluation from an occupational therapist (if you haven't already). They can evaluate your needs and they have the experience to help you find the equipment that is best for you.

best wishes,

Patricia
Together We Can...
pmaxwell

Re: Time for powered mobility: suggestions please

Postby marymac » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:56 am

Thank you for your answer Patricia: so sad the board has all but gone silent. . . I always come back here when I get overwhelmed with all the other sites now. This was the first, and one of my top two. . . because of people like you. I really appreciate your reply. Have the best day you an.
Marymac
Central disc herniations C5-6 and C6-7, extensive syringohydromyelia cavity throughout the cervical & thoracic cord (large syrinx from C6 inferiorly.)

"Every day is a gift: Thats why it's called the Present"
marymac

Return to Equipment/Accessibility