Surgery on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Surgery on Thursday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby akbrowneyes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:42 am

It is just around the "sharp" corner. I have my surgery for my syringomyelia in about 36 hours and have been busy traveling to all the doctor appointments around Seattle the last 2 days. I had my last appointment today with Dr. Ellenbogen, my neurosurgeon, who was warm and friendly. He showed me pictures (MRI) and the syrinx cyst is worse and has reached my brainstem in addition to being wider. He told me that the surgery should be successful, but for how long, is the question.

I will most likely have to have further surgeries because 99% of people, who have Syringosubarachnoid Shunt Placement surgery, have to have it redone because eventually the shunt clogs. I most likely will have some sensory position loss (can’t tell where my legs or feet are), but it should return although the numbness will most likely remain. We will not know the extent of my stay or recovery until after the surgery. Dr. E wants me to complete my rehab in Seattle because of the facility. After my issues with the physical therapy options in Anchorage, I think it is a wise decision.

I just went to Mexico and it was well worth the effort (exhaustion). It was fantastic to spend these days, before I am out iof commission, with John, Lucy (John's mom), the 3 boys and Hanna. We enjoyed many awesome activities. Parasailing, wave runners, dinner cruise, all day fishing, spa days, dinner, snorkeling, and fun in the sun, at the beach, and in the pool. This was all due to the time-share meetings we attended for 3 mornings. We also got free breakfasts for the kids, and us because we drug them along. Gregory caught the first Wahoo (looks like a colorful pike) of the season. It was over 5 feet. Jack fought with a marlin for 20 minutes and lost it in the end, but loved it. Cove loved the sun and water, but was demanding as normal for a 15-month old.

Yes, I am freaking out about what I am about to go through again, but there is no choice (according to my doctor). Furthermore, after visiting the Children’s Hospital today, I am reminded that I have a lot of wonderful things to be grateful for in my life. I would like to take this moment to “Count my Blessingsâ€￾ with you. I have 3 incredible boys who are happy and healthy, I have a beautiful step-daughter who has blessed us with two awesome grandsons Colby and Riland (no grandma jokes :). My gorgeous husband who has had to deal with so much in our life. My wonderful mom, dad, sisters, brother & sister-in-laws, mother-in-law, nephews, and nieces who I love with all my heart and who has been such a great support for me. I have the most incredible friends and coworkers who have always been kind and caring. I live in a wonderful city surrounded by God’s country. Oh yeah, I can walk and I am living.

Valerie

Contact information: While I am in the hospital this link http://www.uwmedicine.org/Facilities/Ha ... lGifts.htm will give you ways to contact me.
HOTEL: 1-800-435-0754 Room #134 & 246 2140 N. Northgate Way, Seattle, WA 98133
Last edited by akbrowneyes on Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
akbrowneyes

Postby mac » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:08 am

Hi Val, wow, you are almost there! I didn't realize the time had flown by and you were back from Mexico and there readying for surgery. I am so glad you are in such capable hands, and it sounds like this will truly be the best thing to do and will bring about improvement. It must be daunting to think about, you just had the PFD, it seems. And traveling so far for the surgery and leaving your family...well, I'm certainly glad you had the chance to have such a wonderful experience south of the border! I'll email you in the hospital, and I will be praying for God to guide the surgeons and hospital staff and I am so thankful that you have such a loving and supportive family!!

much love
mac
mac

Postby kittb » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:54 am

Best of luck to you!
Kittb
If you ever lose yourself, call on me and we'll be lost together-Kitt
kittb

Postby birdlover3 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:36 am

I’m glad that you had such a wonderful time in Mexico with your loved ones. It does help to count our blessings and give thanks. I’ll be praying extra for you & your surgery. Please let us know how you are when you’re up to it.

God’s blessings.
birdlover3

Postby kathymichelle » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:43 am

Val, dang girl I was just at the Gene Juarez /Northgate beauty school to get my hair cut!!

AND I was lost right by you..but probably weren't there.

I want to pass on my prayers for a successful surgery and a great recovery!

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out...anything at all, I will be glad to help out you or your DH!
kathymichelle

Postby cash71 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:52 am

Valerie,

I hope everything goes well with your surgery. You are in very capable hands and your positive attitude will see you through this challenge.

Your in my prayers,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Thank you for yur kind words and thoughts!

Postby akbrowneyes » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:26 pm

Thank you so much for all of your thoughtful words. I appreciate the kindness. I am trying to keep the faith that everything will be fine and my recovery will be speedy.
akbrowneyes

Postby kiminfla » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:36 am

Val, Praying for your successful surgery and much needed symptom relief. Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Val, praying for you and your family and all the doctors and every pair of hands that will be helping you.

love you,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:56 pm

http://www.uwmedicine.org/Facilities/Ha ... lGifts.htm

I just sent Val a well wish. If you click on that you can send her one, too. IF my link doesn't work it's up on her first msg.

Valerie Johnson, right? if now let me know so I can send another.

I love it when hospitals have that feature!

They get all the emails to the pattiensts.

love,
sandy :D
Sandy

Postby mac » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:38 pm

thanks for putting this up for us to remember to do! I'm gonna email her right now, and yes, it's Valerie Johnson...

mac
mac

Postby Janice » Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:10 pm

Thanks from me to Sandy.

Have a pleasant day!
GOD Bless!
Janice

Thoracic: SM T3-T12 / Disc Buldge T7-T9 / Mild Scoliosis
Cervical: SM C2-C6 / DDD / Kyphosis
Hemangioma's: T9-T11 & L4

http://janice-mylifewithsm.blogspot.com/ (Copy & Paste link into your browser)
Janice

Postby kiminfla » Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:33 pm

Thanks for posting that -- just sent her a wish too! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders