Blood Patch

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Blood Patch

Postby ketch16 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:54 am

Hi,

Has anyone had a blood patch? If so, what was your experience with it? Was it painful? Did it work right away?

I'm pretty sure my 16 yr. old daughter has a leak from a spinal tap that she had this past Monday. She is still in bed and can not get up, or her head hurts terribly.

Sherri
ketch16

Postby sparks42 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:20 am

I don't have a clue what a blood patch is, but if it's leaking and she's in terrible pain, I would seek medical attention right away.
- Syringomyelia, Scoliosis, Spinal Fusion, no CM
- 24 year old female
- London Ontario Canada
sparks42

Postby kiminfla » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:23 am

Sherri, I had a lumbar drain for 5-6 days after my pfd surgery. When I was finally able to get out of bed, I had positional headaches so off I went for a blood patch. The procedure itself wasn't bad. (They injected blood from an IV in my arm into my back, like an epidural if you even had one during delivery). My blood pressure was bottoming out during the procedure (that's probably rare, I don't know -- over the years I've passed out a couple times either due to my blood pressure dropping too fast, blood sugar issues, etc. it's never actually been determined) but
they gave me a few shots of epinephrine, then we continued with the procedure -- really not bad.

I had to lie flat overnight again. The next day I was up walking around much better and the headaches were definitely improved. Then I was able to go home -- yeah! Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

blood patch

Postby razzle51 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:52 am

So sorry to hear about KARA . Dont know anything about a blood patch . Hope you find answers
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby sammyj » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:03 pm

Hi Sherri,
I had a leak after a lumbar punture. The doctors were considering a blood patch but, since I have a blood disorder they decided to treat me conservatively. But, from what I was told it was a very simple procedure by taking a small amount of your blood and injecting it into the area of the leak and it forms a clot or a "patch". It usually helps the headache fairly quickly....I couldn't raise myself more than a 20 degree angle for more than 2 wks. with out excruciating pain and vomiting. So, if I had the option I would definately go with the blood patch. I am so sorry that your daughter is going through this.

Samantha
sammyj

Postby sleepyma » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:22 pm

I'm newly diagnosed and have been lurking for a few weeks. Please pardon me for speaking out of turn, but I had an epidural for the birth of my first child and was in agony for 3 days afterward. Had a new doc give me the epidural and it was so painful I didn't want to have it again. After 3 days of being unable to move from a completely level position and having to have my baby brought to me to nurse, I finally went back to the hospital. Turns out, my epidural hurt so much because the doctor didn't wait for my contractions to stop. The blood patch was actually very easy. It was only slightly uncomfortable and pretty quick. The best part was that I had no pain afterwards.

I am sorry your daughter is in such pain. If you are able to get her the blood patch tomorrow, go for it. She will be so grateful and you will be so happy to see her pain relieved.

Good luck.
sleepyma

Postby AFleming05 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:43 pm

I too had a lumbar puncture this last Monday and I too have been in serious pain after. Funny, I came online tonight to post just this such topic. I am sorry that your daughter is experiencing so much pain.

I called my doctors and one mentioned the blood patch, the other who performed the procedure is trying the caffeine and rest route first, but I am going call tomorrow if I still have all this pain and see if the blood patch can be performed.

The pain gets so bad that it pours into the sinus cavity also my back hurts with each diaphragm movement. Its terrible. :cry:

Wishing you all well,
Mandy
AFleming05

Postby kiminfla » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:32 am

Mandy, I've been wondering how you've been doing since your surgery. Sorry about the pain you're in now. As I said, for me, the blood patch wasn't that bad and it did bring a lot of relief. I pray things improve for you and Kara. Be blessed, Kim
CM - PFD 9/7/06
Life is mostly froth and bubble. Two things stand like stone: Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own. -- Adam Lindsay Gordon
kiminfla

Postby lsq00 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:23 am

I had a blood patch and my only regret was it took me four days of misery to go in and have it done! I had a horrible spinal headache following a leak from an epidural from a surgery. The blood patch is AWESOME. A few seconds of minor discomfort and then overwhelming relief within about 5 minutes. I felt like a new person!
lsq00

blood patch

Postby razzle51 » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:43 am

For those who know them . Kara had the patch and it was rough at first , but now is doing very well . Keep her in your prayers.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Blood Patch

Postby ketch16 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:31 am

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciated it! Kara had the blood patch on Thursday. By the time she arrived to have it done, she was so ill that she was vomitting and vomitting and her head hurt so bad that she could not stand up. She said it was painful, but she felt better right away. We're so glad that she had it done!!

Thanks again, Sherri

www.caringbridge.org/oh/kara
ketch16

Postby Ryzing » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:07 pm

Sherri -

So glad to hear Kara is doing better - that is great news!

I sent you a PM :D

Diane from Florence Twp.
Syringomyelia - C4-T12, Fibromyalgia, Scoliosis, DDD
"If you don't change your beliefs, your life will be like this forever. Is that good news?"
Ryzing

Postby AFleming05 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:41 pm

kiminfla wrote:Mandy, I've been wondering how you've been doing since your surgery. Sorry about the pain you're in now. As I said, for me, the blood patch wasn't that bad and it did bring a lot of relief. I pray things improve for you and Kara. Be blessed, Kim

Kim, thank you for your continued support! :D I am consulting with a new neurosurgeon in two weeks at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Does anyone here suffer from fevers too? Its been nearly a year suffering from a fever, which developed after my first decompression surgery. Just wondering if anyone might be able to shed light on what the doctors are having a hard time putting their fingers on. :?: Its been exhausting. I am sure you can imagine.

Sherri, I am glad to hear that the blood patch helped Kara.

Many good thoughts to you all,
Mandy
AFleming05

Blood Patch

Postby ketch16 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:21 am

Diane,

I don't know how to get a private message. Can you let me know.
Thanks, Sherri

ketch16

Blood Patch

Postby ketch16 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:25 am

Diane,

I figured it out. I sent you a message back:-)

Take care, Sherri

ketch16

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders