Question about Chiari and Lumbar Punctures

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Question about Chiari and Lumbar Punctures

Postby AFleming05 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:07 pm

I was told through a different online community that spinal taps are dangerous on us chiarians because it can cause herniation. I also read it on this website, though not through the message board function, that they can be dangerous.

Do any of you have thoughts on this? Have you heard the same? Any testimonials?

Many thanks and many blessings

Mandy
AFleming05

Postby cash71 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:37 pm

Sometimes they are necessary. I am scheduled to have a CT Myelogram and according to Dr. Bolognese at TCI the CT myelogram is the only way to really see any arachnoid banding or narrowing in the thoracic area. CINE MRI are great for viewing the craniocervical junction but not thoracic. See the X-ray/CT Myelogram video at www.thechiariinstitute.com for more info.

As far as tips and pointers. I will give you a link to this question that was posed a few months back. SarahinParadise gives an extremely thorough and knowledgable answer to your question so heres the link. http://p198.ezboard.com/Spinal-Tap/fasa ... 7269.topic

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby CrazyCat » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:25 am

Yes please read Sarah's info. I had a LP in March and they didn't test for pressure because they don't understand about ACM here and I am paying the price...still.
~Be who you are and say how you feel, because the people who matter don't mind and the people who mind don't matter.~
CrazyCat

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders