Cervical traction

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

Cervical traction

Postby cash71 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:59 pm

Before I write this I want to say I know I'll probably get lectures how this isn't a good idea, I could have done damage, or made things worse, it's not recommended etc etc.....I know, really I do.

Despite that I got my husband to do manual cervical traction for me last night. Before I was dx in January my physio did GENTLE manual cervical traction for me twice a week and it really, really helped my back pain. Now I haven't been back to her since I started getting these pressure headaches, mainly because I'm broke saving up for TCI. But I really wanted to find out if it would help reduce the pressure sensations. So last night I instructed my husband how to do it and he was gentle and it felt so good at the time, as it has in the past. This morning I do not have any pressure sensations so far and I haven't taken my Diamox yet. I kinda wanted to try this before I went to TCI as I think the results are kind of a clue as to what is going on.

I glad to be feeling better and hopefully this info will help Dr. B with his diagnosis too.

8) Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby donbr » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:44 pm

Hi Caroline, yes the relief could mean somthing when you do go to TCI let them know what you did and how it effected you.
Don
donbr

Postby mac » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:54 pm

Caroline,

Dr. B often has people do at-home noninvasive traction for diagnostic purposes. He had me do this and I got up to 8 lbs (only) before I asked to quit. Here's why:

He had me sit in the traction (it goes over the door and you add water in a bag for weight) for only 15 mins per day. Once I got a little weight on the device, I noted that when I took it off, I felt "like my old self" for 45 mins. I didn't have brain fog, no neuropathy, I could bend over without pain in my arms or vertigo, etc.

Dr. B told me that that served the purpose of telling him that I will probably do well with an extraction fusion. When I saw him, he said that my at home traction results were "spectacular" and lead him to believe that I will do very well with the extraction fusion. (I only wish it could happen sooner! I'm so afraid of permanent nerve damage and this is all taking so long. As it is, it will be a year from when I saw him in Jan. until I get the fusion, if there are no more delays).

As far as manipulating your own head, I would suggest against it. It will be interesting to hear how you feel tomorrow. The reason I asked to quit at 8 lbs was because after the 45 minutes, I had terrible "rebound" which put me right into bed and feeling very sick. This was the weight of my skull re-compressing the nerves. It was awful.

When you see Dr. B, most likely, he will lift up on your head and ask how you feel and he will press down. I have read where people throw up immediately when he presses down, just due to that nerve compression.

So, it isn't the lifting up that might be so bad (though that could be too) but it's the re-settling of your head that can cause problems.

This is just my thoughts on it, you could ask Dr. B what he thinks, but I would steer clear from manipulating the head/neck. You may have other things going on that could make this practice a really bad no-no for you.

Anyway, for what it's worth...

mac
mac

Postby cash71 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:17 am

Thanks Don, yes I'm hoping that this will be telling for Dr. B when I see him

Mac, I really do know this is contraindicated but I had manual cervical traction 2x per week for about 3 months last year before I was dx (and knew that it was contraindicated) and I never had any negatives from it. It feels so wonderful at the time and over the long term seemed to help settle my back pain down.

I haven't had a pressure HA all day but now its starting to creep back. I'm not planning on repeating it until I talk to Dr. B. I just was really interested for my own sake to see if this would affect the pressure sensation that I have constantly in my head.

thanks for looking out for me :D

Caroline

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Postby mac » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:46 am

Caroline, I respect you to do what's best!! You are one smart cookie!

Uh oh, I said cookie...I bet that will bring Sandy around, tee hee!!

hugs
yer ol pal Mac
mac

traction + chiari

Postby prism » Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:39 am

Hi,

I'm wondering if you guys could share a little more of the details as to the traction-
the only "tracton" I ever did was ever so mild== a pre-traction my chiro said. He wanted me simply to lay with a small towel rolled up under the C6-7.
I eventually decided I couldn't do it since it made me start having some of the near passing out, not being able to move, spitting up and trouble breathing issues.
have either of you ever tried an inversion table to lessen pain?
prism
prism

Postby hayla2 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:19 am

Here lately with all the extreme pressure at the base of my skull, I have been looking for any relief until I get to the surgeon. I found that lifting my head up from my spine actually felt good. So, I have my hubby do that and I actually get some pressure release. I don't know what that means but I can't go around doing my daily business with my head in my husband's hands. Te problem is that as soon as my husband lets go the pressure and pain rushes back. I wish I knew what all this means. Melissa
Oh my brain! It is too big to be contained, yet too little to hold a memory. Hehehehehe
hayla2

Postby Graybo » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:41 am

Hi

A while ago I read about something called 'forward head posture'. After seeing photos of myself I realised that I sometimes hold my head forward and it does seem to put a lot of strain on your neck. what you have to try and do is lift the back of your head (with your muscles) so that your ears are directly above your shoulders. It feels strange to start with but it does take some of the pressure off. Here are a couple of sites that expain it better

http://www.chiro.org/LINKS/Forward_Head_Posture.shtml

http://www.chiroweb.com/archives/17/18/06.html

GP
Graybo

Postby cash71 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:07 pm

I'm not suggesting that anyone else try it as I know it is something that is supposedly contra-indicated. It's just that it was something that I found a lot of relief from pre-diagnosis. And my physio who was doing it was VERY gentle about it. I only did it this time as sort of a diagnostic tool. To me it means either I have some degree of CCI or something but I will leave the diagnosing to Dr. B this coming week.

Prism, I had one physio that gave me this exercise to do where I layed on my back on the bed and hang my head backward of the bed (this was also pre-dx). Well as soon as I started hyper extending my neck I broke out in a cold sweat, had INTENSE vertigo and thought I was going to either faint or vomit or both. I told her this and she said to just keep trying at home. Needless to say I never went back to her. Hyperextension is supposed to be very bad when you have cm.

I'm still feeling OK today but my pressure headache is back. No better or worse than before.

cash71

Postby cash71 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:05 am

Hey Mac...you called it. I had a terrible sub occipital headache all day yesterday. I guess a rebound HA. Oh well, all part of the experiment. Now that I think back, when I got cervical traction from the physio. it really helped my back feel better but I did always get a bad HA the day after.

Caroline

cash71

Postby mac » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:55 pm

Caroline, in this case, I sure hate being right! :wink: Are you feeling better now? I hope so...

I didn't write about it, but a couple of years ago, I visited a friend who does massage therapy and she asked if she could work on my neck. She sat on her bed and I put my head on her lap, facing up. She worked with her fingers under the occipital area and I thought it felt good.

Boy was I wrong! That night and for days, I was so bad I could not leave the house, and I was on vacation! Your post made me think of that. Somebody posted here or elsewhere, I forget, that it's just not good to risk messing with that area and I had to learn the hard way. Looks like you did, too.

I can't wait to hear your report back from your trip to TCI that's coming up!

hugs
mac
mac

hmmm occipital headache

Postby prism » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:20 pm

hmm. Yesterday i was having bad pain..(what else is new?) :shock: I ended up using my massager all over upper back, shoulders, none of it helped- what Really helped, or seemed to :? was using it-- through layers of clothing on the base of my skull. Even better yet though was right on my ear. Oh, such relief. Maybe that's why my head is so bad today. :idea:

and I really can't get around. It's times like these I wish I had TV. or neighbors :roll: but at least I have you 'guys' :wink: prism
prism

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders