How to approach 2nd opinion

Have a question about a symptom, procedure, medication, diagnosis, research, or coping? Ask questions and share what you know with others

Moderator: pmaxwell

How to approach 2nd opinion

Postby Mary Alice » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:46 pm

I've read a lot of things that say don't tell a doctor that you are there for a 2nd opinion. What do you tell them when you show up with all your films in hand and lots of knowledge in your head? Obviously some of the films are follow-up films that were ordered after the original films. It seems sort of apparent that a doctor has already weighed in with an opinion on what to do when all of this testing has already been done.

The reason I ask is that I am actually seeing another neurosurgeon tomorrow. Even though I have surgery scheduled already, I just think I would feel strange having this surgery if I hadn't at least talked to more than one doctor about it. I have talked theoretically with several doctors about it and have consulted by phone with the pediatric neurosurgery group that I used to work with, but only one doc has actually seen my films. So, I'm going tomorrow to see the guy that my neurologist originally referred me to. Of course, he was leaving the country the day after I called to set up an appointment, and tomorrow is the first appointment he had available. Everything has gotten much worse since the original referral which is why I have already scheduled the surgery.

Now I'm going to be walking in with my original MRI, follow-up films that show the syrinx, and knowing in my head that surgery is scheduled. How do I approach this conversation with a doctor I've never met?

Mary Alice :?:
Mary Alice

Postby mac » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:52 pm

M.A.C, hi! I have never done the 2nd opinion thing in the way it's falling into place for you. I just went for a 2nd opinion to an oncologist and of course, it was easy to be upfront with him because the first one I went to was in CA and I just moved to WA and this guy was local.

But what I want to say is I think you should be honest, upfront and say just what you just said to us...that you have surgery scheduled but you didn't feel you could go into it confidently without getting a 2nd opx. Just my thoughts on it. You can never beat being honest and straightforward.

mac (the other one)
mac

2nd opinion

Postby razzle51 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:23 am

I had to get a referral from my NS for a 2nd opinion . Which my Dr. referred me to Dr. Menenz . Dr. Menenz taught my NS in school . So Everything went well . They understand before you get there that you are there for a 2nd opinion.
I choose not to place "DIS" in my ability.

There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!.

razzle51

Postby sylvester » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:05 am

A lot of insurances require a second opinion before surgery or other major procedures, and a good doctor generally does not feel threatened or angry (whatever) if you ask for one. It's best to do it with the first doctor's knowledge because they can facilitate transferring records, test results, etc. Doctor A may refer you to someone, but you also have the right to make your own choice of a Doctor B.

As for whether to tell Doctor "B" that you are there for a second opinion, it is usually rather obvious. Also someone (it might have been Mark Twain, but with my fuzzy brain it could have been someone else) said "If you tell the truth, you only have to remember one story."

Anne
sylvester

Postby cash71 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:53 am

I just got a second opinion from a NS and I didn't have to come right out a say it as it was already know from my letter sent from my NL that I had been to see another NS. I really don't think this will be much of an issue for you. I bet 98% of people get more than one opinion and I think the NS are very used to it.

As a nurse I used to work with put it. You wouldn't have a major car repair done with only one quote would you? So why agree to major surgery with only one opinion.

HTH,

Caroline
Be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle (Plato)

Syrinx C3-T9, CM zero, OTC, cranial settling, dysautonomia/POTS, and ?EDS

see my blog for more info: http://www.chiariandsyringomyeliaincanada.blogspot.com/
cash71

Return to All About Chiari, Syringomyelia, and Related Disorders